Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What big cams are available when using ETP 11* heads while not having to flycut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What big cams are available when using ETP 11* heads while not having to flycut?

What big cams are available when using ETP 11* heads while not having to flycut?

This post may be good for use as a sticky as there are many of us that are looking at etp heads for extra PTVc.

I have been looking and watching for posts regarding the use of the 11* heads and big cams on stock LS1 motors without flycutting. I am still seeing information being construed by others as to which cams will fit and those that won't without flycutting.

I plan to call TSP later next week to see what they have to say. I have seen that they are selling the ETP heads (I may have missed it) but have yet to see em post anything about selling em. I was hoping to make use of one of TSPs big cams and taking advantage of the 11* design. Maybe it is too early to be asking questions. Because of the lucky few that own em, I am hoping that some may already have the answers I, as well as others, are looking for.

Finally, with wanting to keep with the stock bore and bottom end theme, what size runners should I look into? Should I stick with 215 or look at the 225 or reach to the 240? I have heard more then once that the 240 isn't overkill (is this correct?).

Semper Fi,

Rob

Last edited by USMC Devil Dog; 02-07-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

The ET Heads (the 215's in our particular case) have better P/V clearance than stock even with substantial milling. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish a TRex or similar sized cam will fit with no issues whatsoever.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I just finished putting a set of 215 on, I got from Thunder. Geoff suggested the Trak cam.I have plenty of ptv clearance, just got my push rods in 8.100. All that is left is the intake. After Geoff is done tuning it I well post some dyno numbers.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

How much milling are we talking about? How much compression?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Please guys, quit picking the biggest cam that will fit under a head in search of a good setup. Its not going to work. Whatever cam was the pimp cam for stock heads, is NOT going to work the best with these heads, we can assure you.

Youll be much happier if you pick the head that suits what your doing then cam according.
Weve had some of these on the flowbench, and while they flow alot more then the stuff guys are used to workign with, they arent going to make the power if you dont make good cam choices
Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Please guys, quit picking the biggest cam that will fit under a head in search of a good setup. Its not going to work. Whatever cam was the pimp cam for stock heads, is NOT going to work the best with these heads, we can assure you.

Youll be much happier if you pick the head that suits what your doing then cam according.
Weve had some of these on the flowbench, and while they flow alot more then the stuff guys are used to workign with, they arent going to make the power if you dont make good cam choices

As I agree with your suggestion of not using the trex (which at the time wouldn't fit in most aftermarket heads) with aftermarket heads I don't see any reason you should disagree with the fact that the G5X3 112 or any of the big TSP cams would make a great choice. I remember back 5 years ago when many thought that the 231-237 was too large a cam. With some experimenting, and the use of these heads, maybe the LS1 can hit 500 with alittle streetability.

Semper Fi,
Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAIN
How much milling are we talking about? How much compression?

ETP says they can go just about anywhere with it. I was thinking maybe 59cc? I'm still picking up more info on these heads.

Semper Fi,
Old 02-06-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by USMC Devil Dog
I don't see any reason you should disagree with the fact that the G5X3 112 or any of the big TSP cams would make a great choice. I remember back 5 years ago when many thought that the 231-237 was too large a cam. With some experimenting, and the use of these heads, maybe the LS1 can hit 500 with alittle streetability.

Semper Fi,

No those cams will not make very good choices for these heads from what weve seen. Hit me with an email if youd like.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

No those cams will not make very good choices for these heads from what weve seen. Hit me with an email if youd like.

Just how many ETP combos have you seen on bolt-on 346 cars? Any and all info you have please by all means please post it. There are many of us that are looking for options but since these heads are still new the info isn't there to browse hence my comment about making this a sticky.

Semper Fi,
Old 02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Checking in. I just ordered mine and am looking for a suitable cam also. A&A made 470rwhp with a 228/232 cam and a Fast 90/90.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Checking in. I just ordered mine and am looking for a suitable cam also. A&A made 470rwhp with a 228/232 cam and a Fast 90/90.

Was that using the 11* heads?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was that using the 11* heads?
I'm 99.9% sure they were 11* heads. Here's the link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...etp&forum_id=1
Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Just to clarify: I not necessarily advocating using the TRex. I am saying it will fit however. OTOH something along those lines might be interesting...
Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Just how many ETP combos have you seen on bolt-on 346 cars? Any and all info you have please by all means please post it. There are many of us that are looking for options but since these heads are still new the info isn't there to browse hence my comment about making this a sticky.

Semper Fi,
Weve not too many on bolt on cars, but this is from in house stuff from ETP. Weve been talking to Craig and Cary for a while about them and he has seen alot of overcamming on the exhaust side

We should be firing up a ETP stock bottom end car this week, weve had some of their heads for a few months now
Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Who would you recommend talking to about cam recommendations?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of overcamming on the exhaust side
Meaning to much exaust duration? or to much duration split?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Meaning to much exaust duration? or to much duration split?
TTT- ?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been very busy in the shop. We are ETP dealers, and we are doing some testing on a stock bottom end car to see what she likes best. Mainly the point Im trying to make is dont pick the best cam that works with stock heads for example, because they are far from stock heads

Selling these heads, we dont want customers to buy some heads, then order up random XYZ cam from somewhere, and cross their fingers hoping they will work well together because 9 out of 10 it wont

We have already tried a cam of similiar duration to the G5X3 or Magic Stick that didnt clear w/o flycuts. Little more aggressive though
Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry the above was me logged in under Waynes name!
Old 02-11-2006, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Been very busy in the shop. We are ETP dealers, and we are doing some testing on a stock bottom end car to see what she likes best. Mainly the point Im trying to make is dont pick the best cam that works with stock heads for example, because they are far from stock heads

Selling these heads, we dont want customers to buy some heads, then order up random XYZ cam from somewhere, and cross their fingers hoping they will work well together because 9 out of 10 it wont

We have already tried a cam of similiar duration to the G5X3 or Magic Stick that didnt clear w/o flycuts. Little more aggressive though
What size ET heads did you try with those cams that did not clear?