Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Car Cam Bearing Replacment? (#1 Bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Car Cam Bearing Replacment? (#1 Bearing)

Is it possible to replace the #1 cam bearing while the engine is still in the car? I gouged the heck out of it while removing my cam and I can't afford to pull the engine to replace all of the cam bearings. The only one that was damaged was the front cam bearing. I've got about 2' of room in front of the cam bearing before I hit the AC condenser.

Are there any tricks to remove the old bearing? I don't have a cam bearing puller/installer and I don't have the extra $180 to spend on one right now.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm going to hit up one of my co-workers who has an *** load of tools; he may have a cam bearing remover/installation tool.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard that you can replace the front in the car... The condensor should be dropped down and out of the way, youll need to get it out of the way to pull or install the cam anyway. I havnt replaced the cam bearings yet so someone else will have to comment on them. Out of curiosity how did you damage the bearing exactly and how bad is it really?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

There were some pretty serious metal shavings when I removed the cam. I damaged it by having the cam tilted down because the AC condensor was in the way. Just before the end of the cam there is a really sharp part; I ended up twisting the cam with that part over the bearing, that is how I damaged it. Of course I didn't know this at the time being it was my first cam removal.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

you might be able to rent a bearing tool at autozone, something to check out. idk about actually being able to do it in the car tho