Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breaking in a new motor

What do ya'll usually do? I'm getting "bust that motors ***" to break it in and most tuners will tell you to baby it for 500-1000. In either case, nobody has reported any bad things from doing it either way (that I've heard of). I'm 200 miles in on a babying break in.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever the **** you want to it and it will be fine, short of track passes and any amount of nitrous or boost. Some will say baby it, which is what I plan on doing, others say throw it up on the dyno as soon as it runs.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Play it safe. Baby it for atleast 1,000 miles and then drive it as you normally would.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Heat cycling the engine would be the most important thing to do. Then as long as you don't get too crazy for the first few hundred miles should be ok.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

drive it like your gonna drive it... the only real thing that ive heared is to vary the engine speeds, so no long highway trips. Other than that, i did a little bit of everything breaking mine in.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Its broken in after 5 miles, period. Just like every engine made at every manufacturer, including the LS1/2/6/7 engines.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used to be in Quality Control for Mitsubishi and I drove the new cars out on the test track and let me tell youthey were not babied!!! We would power shift them and all sorts of crazy things. Cars that had 2 miles on them we were doing 120 down the straight away rapping at 7 grand. We never had any problem with them, maybe had to replace a couple of clutches before they left for the dealer but believe me they were broke in. That was the best job I ever had!!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
I used to be in Quality Control for Mitsubishi and I drove the new cars out on the test track and let me tell youthey were not babied!!!
But things are different when youre talking about a motor that actually puts out power! Ive heard different views on how to break in. Id probably heat cycle the springs just to be safe, then increasingly take it a little higher in rpm each time I took it out over the course of 8 or 10 heat cycles. The last one, id really let her rip with a couple of WOT blasts. Then change the oil. Going rough on her within the first few miles is rumored to seat the rings very well, although idwant to gradually work my way up over the course of a few miles rather than a WOT blast right out of the garage.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

There are certainly different views on how to break in an engine no matter which forum you go to. I'll just continue with the babying it break in as (even if the quick way works), I've dumped way too much cash and time to take the chance. I haven't seen anyone say the it would do harm either way.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 AM
7 Second Club

Break in for the engine is very easy. Before you start the engine you need to disable the ignition and fuel system. Then crank the engine until you see oil pressure. Then connect the ignition and fuel and fire it up. If you have a decent tune in it I would just drive it around a little. After it has run for about 20 to 30 min take it to the dyno and make some pulls. The ring will seat in about 30 min. I also recomend non synthetic oil for the first two oil changes.

this is exactically how Brian@LME replied to this question about 1 month ago...

this is for a 408 that i bought from them.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard that keeping it in first and accelorating to about 40 mph and then just let off the gas and let the engine slow the car and doing that a few times is a good way to seat the rings