Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Questions

So about two and a half years ago I did a 5th to 2nd downshift on the freeway going probably about 75. Bent the pushrods (one looked like this ----->S). Replaced pushrods but didn't do the whole #1 piston at tdc procedure, just popped the rockers off and threw in the new pushrods. Fired up the car and now I got that wonderful sewing machine tick. So here are my questions-

1. By not turning the #1 piston to tdc when installing the pushrods, could this have affected anything(i.e. lifters or rebending pushrods?). I don't think so but am not sure. Do you think it's likely any valves are bent?

2. The tick I believe is one of the lifters going bad. The sound sounds like it is emanating from the valve train. Do you think this is the likely cause?

3.The car seemed to drive fine when I put everything back together but I couldn't bring myself to continue driving it with that damn sound and due to other things going on in my life it has been sittng in my garage for 2+years. Now that I'm going to work on it what do you advise i do as far as the engine being stagnant so long. Should I throw some oil in the cylinder bores to lube the rings some? I'm going to turn it over without the plugs and try and get stuff lubricated before I start her back up. Good idea?? And the oil (it's redline so its really good oil and was put in fresh after my first attempt) has been sitting in the pan (I know I'm lazy ) all this time. For sure I'm draining and refilling but do you think it's sludged up at all. Should I be worried about that??

4.And finally I'm going to get new head gaskets and new lifters but do you think the pushrods and the head bolts are necessary or can I just use the old ones. Also isn't there a certain lifter tray I should be replacing that's upgraded?
Sorry for the length of the post just want to get all the angles covered. Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by 99SSpeed; 04-03-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody can help