Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket..

I'm in the market for a LS1 Trans Am and have been for a while but that's because I'm being pretty picky. Anyway.. I found an "intriguing" car for sale a few days ago and I've been thinking about looking into the car a little further but I thought I'd get on here and ask and see what you guys thought.

The car is a '98 TA WS6, it has 40,000 miles on it but like I said, the head gasket is blown, or at least that's what the guy says (assume he is just for the sake of the question). I've actually rebuilt a few older SBC's with the help of others and worked on a lot of cars but I just wanted to ask some LS1 experts anyway. Do you think that all the engine would need is new head gaskets and then of course check the heads and if they are ok just bolt stuff back together or am I missing something here?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

anyone please?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

what in the heck did he do to it to blow the head gasket at 40k???? if he over heated it there could be TONS of other problems. have you looked at the car? how long was it driven like this?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demo3k
I'm in the market for a LS1 Trans Am and have been for a while but that's because I'm being pretty picky. Anyway.. I found an "intriguing" car for sale a few days ago and I've been thinking about looking into the car a little further but I thought I'd get on here and ask and see what you guys thought.

The car is a '98 TA WS6, it has 40,000 miles on it but like I said, the head gasket is blown, or at least that's what the guy says (assume he is just for the sake of the question). I've actually rebuilt a few older SBC's with the help of others and worked on a lot of cars but I just wanted to ask some LS1 experts anyway. Do you think that all the engine would need is new head gaskets and then of course check the heads and if they are ok just bolt stuff back together or am I missing something here?
Probably want to make sure that the motor hasn't Hydrolocked, pull the dipstick and see if there is any milkyness to the oil...the inside of the cap is a good place to look as well. Still wouldn't be a bad bye even if the motor is junk...many places to get a replacement motor...assuming of course that the rest of the car is up to your standards and a good price is negotiated.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Yeah good points he wants $7,000 for the car so it would be a very good deal if it was as simple as new gaskets and just making sure nothing else is wrong, wouldn't be a bad buy like you said even if the motor was junk for that price. Anyway I haven't seen the car in person yet just saw it in a trader, might give the guy a call and see about going to see it or find out more. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Is "intriguing" a code word for cheap?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

yep code word for cheap.. maybe code word for steal or code word for bust, not sure what the dictionary says yet on this one.