Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Bearing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Bearing issue?

Hey guys I am stumped on this noise now. Whenever I go into high rpms say around 5,500 I get this mettalic scapping sound. It is not constant though. Just every few seconds it will make the noise and it will continue all the way through the rpm's. When the rev's come back down it doesn't do it. I just did an oil change and used Mobil 1 0-30 in with K&N filter Hp 1007 and same problem. Before I was using Mobil 1 20w-50 in it and it wasn't any quiter than it is with 0w-30 in it. This tells me that it probably isn't bottom end related because with the thicker oil it was still there. It is not a very loud scraping but to hear it over the exhaust at WOT means something isn't right. The car has 170k miles on it so that could be a factor. The car has never burned oil nor does it just consume it.
I have a video hear that you can hear the car at idle and if you listen closely you can hear like a chirping sound randomly. When I changed oil I had like a little bit of blackish gray crap on the drain plug. I haven't cleaned the drain plug in a while so it could just be old oil. Does this sound like a bearing issue to you guys and would you strongly be against running this 0w-30 stuff in my car with this mileage. It seems kinda thin. I am still on the prowl for German Castrol 0W-40.

Check the VID out.

http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-Rattle
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you didnt find any shavings when you changed the oil, i'm thinking you are fine. you can also have your oil analyzed by a lab for a small fee (to check for bearing material)
Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Didn' 98 have cam bearing issues?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

I am thinking cam bearings to. I know that cam bearings can have problems and not be all that noticable. I didn't find and noticable shavings or anything in the oil so I think I am okay. I figure at 170k miles the springs are getting weak bearings are getting looser tolerances stuff like that. Plus I would imagine having headers and ORY will amplify those little noises much more but this is kinda a new noise. I guess I will really start to worry about when I hear knocking huh. Next on my list of mods is going to be patriot gold spring kit, LS6 ported oil pump, chromoly pushrods, and comp lifters. This should freshen her up quite well I would think. Or should I save my money and have the motor pulled and rebuilt?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, just save up for a nice stroker short block instead of rebuilding the stocker....
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

If I where to get a 383 short block I could use everything else already on the motor right. I know the heads probably wouldn't be the best on it but they will work. What about the ECM will the 98 ECM's be able to run them without having a total tune and flash?