Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check pushrod length..solid lifter and adj rockers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to check pushrod length..solid lifter and adj rockers

I need to figure out what pushrods I need. I've read how to figure out what size I need but what preload do I figure in for morel solid lifters? All the posts I could find were on hyd lifters. Also when I measure should I get the measurements with my rocker adjusters in the middle of their range?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Chris Straub on the amount of preload for the solids. As for measuring, what I did was adjust the rocker (I am using Cranes) on the head to get the best wipe pattern. I found that I could measure the depth from the top of the adjusting nut to the stud and use that as a gage very consistantly. I then figured a range of stud depth measurements that provided an acceptable wipe pattern. Then when I did the pushrod measurement on the car with the lifter, I could figure out what length I needed to put me in the correct stud depth range once adjusted. Hope this makes sense, what rockers are you using?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I will be using T&D rockers
Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Just got done measuring and I'm coming up with 7.825 length. That seems aweful long to me. What I did was put a stock pushrod in the head, turn the engine over until the pushrod was down the whole way(base circle...right??) then used my pushrod checker. I did this on cylinder 1 on both valves and got the same measurement. I'm using heads with a ton of custom work and .140 worth of shims under the T&D rocker stands. I'm also using Lash caps. I'm just looking for some reassurance that I did everything correctly.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Also should the tip of the rocker be centered on the lash cap? To get it perfectly centered I had to add more shim under the rocker stands.