Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove through water...and now bad problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drove through water...and now bad problems

Well the other day we had flash flooding and on my way home from class I hit a pretty deep pool of water. Almost immediately I heard a very loud knocking sound coming from my engine and lost oil pressure. I pulled over immediately and turned the car off, then I had to have the car towed home. I'm lost as to what could have happened and I'm not sure where to start looking, any help??
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you know if you sucked water into your intake system (what kind of intake do you have)? That's the first thing to check. Some water might have killed the engine (as in caused it to die) and a lot of water might have really killed the engine (hydrolocked). Tell us what you find.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Worse case scenerio you'll be short block shopping today. Best case scenerio pull the plugs and the fuel pump fuses then turn the motor over to get the water out of the cylinders. Don't forget to change the oil to.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

yea even with a knock you wont really loose all oil pressure make sure you didnt break your oil pan or filter
Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, hydrolocking is bad. Wife Hydroed the honda. Good Luck With that
Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try the spark plug thing today and see what that does...I'm unsure if any water was sucked up or not. Thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Launching!

most likely it did suck water,just what happend to me i was in the center lane and had acar on the right lane and car on the left so they both splashed water on me and my engine stalled i just have lid descreened maf ported throttle body water whent right in,had to get car towed and at home when car in driveway i saw oil look under neeth found engine block was broken by the oil filter and threw one rod out just cause the water does not compress and cabummm,had to replace engine
Old 08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigpappasz28
most likely it did suck water,just what happend to me i was in the center lane and had acar on the right lane and car on the left so they both splashed water on me and my engine stalled i just have lid descreened maf ported throttle body water whent right in,had to get car towed and at home when car in driveway i saw oil look under neeth found engine block was broken by the oil filter and threw one rod out just cause the water does not compress and cabummm,had to replace engine

That sounds like what happened to mine...I glanced under there and saw oil everywhere Did your insurance help you out? Looks like I'll be replacing the engine soon
Old 08-26-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Dang ive heard a lot of this stuff happening to Camaro guys whats the difference between it and a trans am? becuase i didnt think there was any
Old 08-26-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by just1news6
Dang ive heard a lot of this stuff happening to Camaro guys whats the difference between it and a trans am? becuase i didnt think there was any
There is no difference. I guess just more of us with camaros have this type of luck for some reason...

To the original poster, sucks to hear that. From what you're describing, you hydrolocked the engine. Well, atleast now you have a good excuse to upgrade if possible. Hopefully your insurance will cover the expense. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have comprehensive insurance it will be covered. we do insurance jobs all the time after it rains hard and people drive through deep puddles. i would call your insurance company BEFORE tearing it apart. good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Launching!

nope at the time car was payed for and i did not have full cover because here in dallaits real expensive due to it being a sports car,so i just had liabilty,i bought the engine at a junk yard out of a firebird that had fliped over car was totaled got it for 1300 compleate with evrything on it wires and all also with the y pipe and also to front original thing where the air filter goes with the ac compresser so it was compleate just swaped it out,also ot had less miles than mine i think the engine had 39ooo miles on so it was still new

Quick Reply: Drove through water...and now bad problems