Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 hours for head swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5 hours for head swap?

I will be swapping in my DIY heads soon and I was wondering how much time I should plan on for the swap.

I've read through the instructions a few times and there doesn't seem to be any crappy parts like with a clutch swap etc so how long do you think it will take for my first time?

For a point of reference, I can do a cam in about 8 hours.

I have to rent shop time and if I can't do it in 5 hours, I need to plan on leaving it overnight.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 hours? no way. I can do a cam swap a little quicker than you, and it still takes me a full weekend for a head swap. Id plan on atleast 12 for your first time, judging by your cam swap speed. I know it dosnt seem like much, but the akward angles make thinsg difficult and really slows you down. Youre working under that damn cowl.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ah I see.
I was hoping it was going to go like building blocks.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

You are in an F-body right? Vette is much quicker, 5-6 hours.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sig below
Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would guess 10-12 hours. It takes a while to work under the cowl in tight spots. Make sure to clean the block surface good and blow out any coolant from the bolt holes.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The part that will take the most time is cleaning. Per say it doesnt really take that long to rip the old heads off and stuff the new ones on. I'll bet your cam time would be less the next time you do a cam as well. The heads are easier to do its the freaking cleaning of the block and head bolts holes that takes the time. If you could drain the block completely(coolant) before taking the heads off you'd be a thousand times better off. I dont think you'll do it in 5 hrs. You need to drop the exaust take and the intake off. Which means removing plugs and getting to the back of the intake for those fun bolts. Then the heads will come off relatively quick BUT then you have to clean and chase the head bolt holes. Cleaning the block is easy but the holes vex me to this day . Torquing the heads down is easy and then putting it all back together wont be that bad.
How fast can you change your plugs? That will give you an indication of some of the time right there.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JK haha....but yes i'de say the cleaning will take the most time. use an old head bolt and shave off the threads on 2 sides to make it a "thread chaser" to clean out all the old loc-tite in the bolt holes. and you have to keep sticking paper towel down into the holes to get the coolant out. this will take a long time. especially once you "are done" and put the new heads in. if you forget any coolant, you'll know when you start to put the new head bolts in!

another thing that sucks is getting all the headgasket material off. since you've done a cam swap, i'm assuming you don't have the nasty waterpump gaskets in there anymore and have the nice reusable metal ones?

i found using some carb 'n' choke cleaner and some scotch brite scuffy pads worked the best.

"Hope for the best and expect the worst, plan on nothing going as planned and don't be suprised if you pay twice as much as you thought in the beginning" i've found all of that pretty much spot on anytime i work on something.....
Old 09-03-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

No way it will take you only 5 hours. It took me several days (total of about 20 hours) to do my first head swap. Although, I was taking my time to make sure the block and bolt holes were absolutely clean. I say you plan a couple days where you can just work on the car.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Takes me about 8-10 hours on a C5, depending upon how much cleaning is involved.
BTW, the shop vac trick is awesome for getting water out of the heads.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shop vac and a drinking straw make short work of getting all the coolant out of the bolt holes
Old 09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that if you put a shop vac on the water pump, you can drain the coolant out of the block below the cylinder head area.

Another tip, use some rubber bands on the back intake manifold bolts if you're working by yourself. The rubber bands will hold them up so you can slide the intake forward an inch or so to have room to disconnect everything back there.

Are you working alone or with someone else? A second person will help tremendously but being organized will help as well. Set out your tools like a surgeon will and have a game plan and working order. This will help to speed things up as well.

Just remember though, when you're under the gun, and trying to get this done in a specific time frame, expect the **** to hit the fan. I know that's what happens for me. When my car was a daily driver, inevitably, something simple would turn into a nightmare and I'd be in the garage late on a Sunday night to get the car ready to drive to work the next day.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the tips
my only savior is I live 1.5 miles from work and the garage so I walk or rollerblade when I have to. I just don't like leaving my car there overnight.

I like that rubber band trick and I think I'll try suckin the coolant out too.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10-12 is more accurate. If you have all the right tools and don't take too many breaks, 8 can be attainable.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Launching!

Are you guys kidding. I can do a head swap in about 3 hrs in my car. I have studs wich i think saves a little time though. I guess it matters how much experience you have. My first time was about 6 hrs
Old 09-04-2006, 03:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, with studs you don't have to clean out 500 holes!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Head studs and re-usable head gaskets will speed up the time considerably. You don't have to clean out the bolt holes. You don't have to prep the block and heads because the gasket doesn't stick to both, and the torque sequence is easier since it's a simple torque spec and not a angle torquing sequence.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a plan and set my mind on getting it done quick I could probably get it done in 5 hours. However, I always end up looking at things and see if there is anything I can do while the heads are off. That ends up taking a long time. They aren't that bad after the first time.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 777
If I had a plan and set my mind on getting it done quick I could probably get it done in 5 hours. However, I always end up looking at things and see if there is anything I can do while the heads are off. That ends up taking a long time. They aren't that bad after the first time.
Damn, you really think so? I always have a plan, and Ive done enough headswaps to have eneything engrained in muscle memory. It only takes me 15 or 20 minutes to clean out all the bolt holes. I still couldnt dream of doing it in 5 hours.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

if you have a buddy to help it might be possible if you didn't hit any snags to do it in about 5 hours but there always seem to be a setback for me it was the oil pressure sending unit,and i broke the coolant plug-off in one of my heads.doesn't the 98 cars have those graphite gaskets ?if so be prepared for a fun time of cleaning off the surface .

Quick Reply: 5 hours for head swap?