Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrods must match cam???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pushrods must match cam???

bought a lunati cam 55008 (237/242 595/595 112)and i was looking at all different sites that sold it and realize that everyone says "major engine modifications required"....well so far i have bought comp lifters, patriot gold dual springs, and then i found one sight that sid lunati cams require matching pushrods for each cam....really? i went ahead and bought some wanting to cover every aspect. i bought the ones specifically matched to my cam. i have three questions:
1. should the pushrods really have been matched perfectly to each lunati cam? they are 7.4xx inch and not 7.400 but whats the point of changing just to keep the PRs and cam the same brand? did i just waste money?
2. the only other thing i can think of on "major engine modifications required" is clearence issues of piston to valve. obviously i'll test it first but what if it wont clear? my shop said "being a 242 it SHOULD clear but if it doesnt just right the thicker head gaskets would make them clear being that low in the 240s".......is that correct? this is going on a BRAND NEW, 0 miles, rebuild LS6 block so i dont want to get it in there and boom, back to square one.
3. will my stock timing chain need to be replace here at 52K? if so is a LS2 chain enough?

any input is greatly appriciated and i'll try to make this my last post full of questions i should probably already know the answers too. but hey, id rather ask dumb questions and get the answers i need then to find out the hard way and be SOL with no money to rebuild and no car to get to work ya know.

THANKS in advance--Nick
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LS2 is enough, but if you are installing this on a brand new block why not have it degreed and use an adjustable T-chain.
Also since the block is in shortblock form, why not flycut the pistons and be safe on the clearance issue.
also i wouldn't run a thicker gasket, quite the opposite. I would flycut just so I can run a thinner gasket and improve my quench.

If the p-rods match the cam, that is good for preload purpose

Quick Reply: pushrods must match cam???