Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GC 0W30 @ Autozone

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC 0W30 @ Autozone

well.. i know everyone asks where they can get this magical stuff. went and got me 7 quarts last night and 2 wix oil filters.

heres some pics so you can see what it looks like. keep in mind this stuff on the bottom is M05, not the MO4 or M03 like is recommended. this stuff is newer and i am pretty sure it should work just fine.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

I miss the stuff that was green in color.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

yeah this stuff is brownish clear
Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what was the advantage of using the M03 or M04 since it is recommended? What's the difference between the three?

I've been thinking of switching to this, but haven't made up my mind just yet.

Was hoping it'd help slow down my oil consumption...seems like I've read it will.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by marv
So what was the advantage of using the M03 or M04 since it is recommended? What's the difference between the three?

I've been thinking of switching to this, but haven't made up my mind just yet.

Was hoping it'd help slow down my oil consumption...seems like I've read it will.
do a search on the forum for teh screename patman, he has LOTS of oil threads with full analysis and such. hes a very smart dude

FAR less wear then other oils, lasts forever, little bit thicker, helps with piston slap, helps queit down sewing machine valvetrain, all around kick *** stuff
Old 10-18-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The M03, M04 and the very early M05 stuff was the original formula that was green in color. When people heard the formula was changing, they all stocked up on the green stuff. Consequently, there has been more oil analysis done on this formula, since people still have stockpiles of it. As people run out and start using the gold, I think the analysis of the new formula will end up being as good or better than the green. If you really feel like reading about it, check out bobistheoilguy.com.....lots of information there.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
do a search on the forum for teh screename patman, he has LOTS of oil threads with full analysis and such. hes a very smart dude

FAR less wear then other oils, lasts forever, little bit thicker, helps with piston slap, helps queit down sewing machine valvetrain, all around kick *** stuff
Thanks man, I'll look into those posts. I've done a bit of searching and it seems that most everyone approves of the GC.

Now I just need to see if I can find any.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how this stuff has become a cult classic...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The M03, M04 and the very early M05 stuff was the original formula that was green in color. When people heard the formula was changing, they all stocked up on the green stuff. Consequently, there has been more oil analysis done on this formula, since people still have stockpiles of it. As people run out and start using the gold, I think the analysis of the new formula will end up being as good or better than the green. If you really feel like reading about it, check out bobistheoilguy.com.....lots of information there.
Thanks jmm...I appreciate the info. I'm thinking of trying this my next oil change so I'll have to read up on it. Currently I'm running 5W-30 M1, and while it does a great job, I think it's not helping with my oil consumption. I'm thinking switching to GC (seems to be a little thicker) and doing a couple other odds and ends will help slow it down.

I'll check out that site as well. Heard of it before, just never looked at it.

So is 0W-30 weight the most commonly used? My SS has about 112K on it, so I'm wondering if I would need to go with something a tad thicker.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I love how this stuff has become a cult classic...

I take it you don't like it? What are you running?

I've considered Amsoil as well....anyone care to give their thoughts on that?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks jmm...I appreciate the info. I'm thinking of trying this my next oil change so I'll have to read up on it. Currently I'm running 5W-30 M1, and while it does a great job, I think it's not helping with my oil consumption. I'm thinking switching to GC (seems to be a little thicker) and doing a couple other odds and ends will help slow it down.

I'll check out that site as well. Heard of it before, just never looked at it.

So is 0W-30 weight the most commonly used? My SS has about 112K on it, so I'm wondering if I would need to go with something a tad thicker.

Thanks!
Hey Marv, my Z28 has 118k miles on it and I LOVE GC 0w-30. According to the oil analyses, it is actually thicker than corresponding Mobil 1 0w-30; it is more on par with the Mobil 1 0W-40 or even a little thicker.

I get better oil pressure with this (GC) than Mobil 1 0w-40.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

i live in hot weather, mostly everyday it 98 degrees and up, what wieght would i run, my car has 55,000 miles, would u recommend 0w-30?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
Hey Marv, my Z28 has 118k miles on it and I LOVE GC 0w-30. According to the oil analyses, it is actually thicker than corresponding Mobil 1 0w-30; it is more on par with the Mobil 1 0W-40 or even a little thicker.

I get better oil pressure with this (GC) than Mobil 1 0w-40.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I just figured I'd give the GC a try on this next oil change to see what it would do. If I don't like it, I can always go back and shouldn't be out to much either.

I'll have to see if any of the local AZs have any in stock.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I take it you don't like it? What are you running?

I've considered Amsoil as well....anyone care to give their thoughts on that?
Actually, I liked it just fine. I ran it for about two fills on my car, and the second one I did an oil analysis on (it was when the new M04 formula had hit the shelves). The oil analysis was pretty good, and is posted on here somewhere.

I just ran into the problem of being able to find it readily. My comment was more directed to the people that search high and low for this stuff, and post up new threads as if they had found pure gold And then usually horde it.

I currently run Amsoil, and I'm gonna continue with that on my next fill as I get this one analyzed. We'll see how they compare.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Actually, I liked it just fine. I ran it for about two fills on my car, and the second one I did an oil analysis on (it was when the new M04 formula had hit the shelves). The oil analysis was pretty good, and is posted on here somewhere.

I just ran into the problem of being able to find it readily. My comment was more directed to the people that search high and low for this stuff, and post up new threads as if they had found pure gold And then usually horde it.

I currently run Amsoil, and I'm gonna continue with that on my next fill as I get this one analyzed. We'll see how they compare.

lol its kinda said.. but i was kinda cheering when i finally found it at autozone
Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, that's definitely a good point that I've been considering. As much as I drive the car, I need something that is readily available.

So how much does a change with the Amsoil product run you? Right now it's about $45 for me for 6 quarts of M1 and a K&N oil filter.

Are those CCW's on your car btw? Great looking car too!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, that's definitely a good point that I've been considering. As much as I drive the car, I need something that is readily available.

So how much does a change with the Amsoil product run you? Right now it's about $45 for me for 6 quarts of M1 and a K&N oil filter.

Are those CCW's on your car btw? Great looking car too!
I wouldn't really consider Amsoil readily available as I usually have to order it. I don't have my oil receipt on hand (at least not readily available, but it is in a pile of papers somewhere), but I'm almost 100% sure it was more than Mobil 1. I just wanted to try something different, and it seems to be working well. Between the Amsoil 5w40 and the LC-20 I use, my oil consumption has gone WAY down. I've also Auto-Rx'd my engine, so that may have helped too.

I certainly don't want to take away from the GC, as it is a good oil that has been proven in these engines. It just makes me laugh when I see the fanfare it gets, as it brings back the images of me asking the dude behind the Auto Zone counter, "Hey, do you have any of the German Castrol?" I've seen some of the most puzzled looks...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and yes, they are CCW SP500s. There are more details and pics in the link in my sig.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't really consider Amsoil readily available as I usually have to order it. I don't have my oil receipt on hand (at least not readily available, but it is in a pile of papers somewhere), but I'm almost 100% sure it was more than Mobil 1. I just wanted to try something different, and it seems to be working well. Between the Amsoil 5w40 and the LC-20 I use, my oil consumption has gone WAY down. I've also Auto-Rx'd my engine, so that may have helped too.

I certainly don't want to take away from the GC, as it is a good oil that has been proven in these engines. It just makes me laugh when I see the fanfare it gets, as it brings back the images of me asking the dude behind the Auto Zone counter, "Hey, do you have any of the German Castrol?" I've seen some of the most puzzled looks...
I appreciate the info man, I'll keep it all in mind. I'll have to do some looking to see how readily available it is around this area and go from there. Might at least give it a try on the next change.

Where do you typically order your Amsoil from?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and yes, they are CCW SP500s. There are more details and pics in the link in my sig.
Good looking wheels man...car looks nice!

Too bad they're out of my budget!