Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big install coming up Cam/Intake, am I ready?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big install coming up Cam/Intake, am I ready?

Ok, so ive been collecting parts to go towards my goal build for quite a while.
I'm getting close to install time as the driving season is over, and im just nervous about weather or not I've chosen properly or not.
I'd appreciate if yall think I have my bases covered or if I've overlooked anything major.

Install includes....

Intake
Fast 90 / NW90
Coolant Pipes & Plugs For LSX Intake

Cam
Comp X-ER 224/228 .581/.588 112+4
918 Springs, stock retainers locks rockers etc.
Comp Rods 7.400"
LS2 Chain
LS6 Oil Pump
new GM crank bolt
Gaskets - timing cover, water pump, etc..
longer crank bolt - m16 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long

I have yet to get the spring installation tool (not sure where, cheap/$$$), dowels for the lifters (home depot) and the 3 arm pulley (autozone) but those are all just details.

Concerns:
1)
I'm concerned with P2V clearance with the cam, but ill have to get the full specs tonight, and try and figure it out.
This seems like a pretty common cam and ive searched for people asking about P2V with these but most all of those threads refer to milled heads and such, my heads are stock for now, so not sure if it should be an issue.

2)
All this is going into the stock motor, so im thinking the stock rods will be ok for length?
Not sure if I want/need to get a degreeing kit, rod lenght checker, spring height checker etc for everything, Is that normally necessary with such a common setup?
If I can get away with not buying all those tools I'd really like to.

I'll prob flash the PCM with an updated file before i start it the first time to accomodate the 90/90, bump up the VE table a bit, and possibly the desired idle speed 50rpm or so, so I hope that won't be a major issue to get it running safely anyway.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Sorry this is long and contains way more than one post should
I'm just wanting to jump into that thing this weekend as I have been waiting and reading for so long, wanna try and get on the road before the snow and salt show up and I'm a little nervous for my first time.

thanks
DJ
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 - I can see no reason that you'd have PTV issues with stock heads and that cam.

2- Check the pushrod length. It's just how you do it. That's part of the procedure.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

you wont have any issues with ptv clearence you can gooo allot biger before worrying about that..
Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks folks, thats' reassuring.
Appreciate it.

D
Old 11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ask the place you're buying the cam from to reccomend a PR length for that cam. Looks like you have everything sorted out pretty well. I'd reccomend getting tims tool for the valve spring swap...it's very cheap and works perfectly = https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ve+spring+tool

Last edited by NassyVette; 11-03-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Sorry this is long and contains way more than one post should
I'm just wanting to jump into that thing this weekend as I have been waiting and reading for so long, wanna try and get on the road before the snow and salt show up and I'm a little nervous for my first time.
"

Don't sweat it man, thats what this site is for. You sound like you're well prepared...just take your time and you'll be fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks NV,
I actually just bought the Crane Double spring compressor, and the comp PR lengh checker. I'm sure ill need to do a swap in the future and cant hurt to have a decent one lying around.
Hope the 7.4's are right since I already have them, otherwise ill just have to sell or trade, but big deal.

I was a little impulsive on the buy and maybe didn't get all the numbers.
I think ima jump into the install this weekend.

Rock,
D