Sponsored by:

Motor May Be Toast

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:17 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor May Be Toast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a WOT run today while doing some logging using HP Tuners and everything looked good and the car felt great. Got home and downloaded the info off the interface and packed my computer to head to my girls place. Well I cranked the car up and had no oil pressure. I killed the car after about 10 seconds of ideling and got out and checked the oil level. The oil level was fine so I cranked it up again and let it run for about 3 seconds and still no oil pressure. Got out the scanning equipment to scan the oil pressure and in the process I started it twice for about 5 seconds both times. On the last start the motor was diffrent. I`m not sure if it idled was diffrent, but it sounded diffrent. No knocking or anything it just sounded diffrent. It almost sounded like clattering. I killed the car right away so I hope I didn`t damage anything. If I broke the timing chain would it still have oil pressure? I just finished the car last Wed. and was headed to the track Sun. to see what she would do, but I guess thats going to be put on hold. I even went out to buy some new Drag Radials this afternoon and no one had any Nittos in stock so I probably wouldn`t have gone to the track Sun. anyway. I just hope I didn`t **** up the motor. I just had a bad day.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you broke the timing chain your pistons and valves would be VERY intimate buddies
Old 11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, that I agree, but how did it idle and sound great without the clatering, with zero oil pressure for a while with the timing chain gone? Damn I guess I`ll go buy one of the new Silverados this weekend. Not that I have the money, but I can get a loan. Anyone else got any info. **** this sucks. And just on a humrous note: I don`t think that the valves and pistons get along very well in the first place.They always seem to say " Don`t Tuch Me " LOL. Sucks for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not the timing chain. It sounds like your oil pump went bad. Maybe pick up o ring or something but if your timing chain was broken you would hear all kinds of bad ****. Like stated above your valves and pistons would become 1 and guess what new motor. You should be ok if it is something simple what mods did you recently do? Heads or cam?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

oil pump failure, do not start car again.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Restricted User

Or it killed a bearing, maybe its shortblock time...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

No mods latley. Had a cam put in about two years ago.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
If you broke the timing chain your pistons and valves would be VERY intimate buddies
And it wouldn't start and run.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pump!!! Change it and you should be ok.