Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0343 after cam swap - LS2 Cam in LS1 motor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0343 after cam swap - LS2 Cam in LS1 motor.

After some discussion with friends and a recent Heads/Cam swap on my car, I decided to install my stock 243 Casting heads and LS2 cam into my wife's 04 LS1 GTO.

Install went relatively smoothly, with only a minor issue or two that we quickly worked out. (Wrong head bolts.....apparently the block changed some time during 2004 and the head bolts are shorter than the ones I originally bought.)

On to the point.....
A buddy of mine said you can't use an LS2 cam in an LS1, but its fiine to use an LS1 cam in an LS2. Something to do with a reluctor wheel on the cam that the CMP Sensor uses to function on the LS1 and the LS2 works differently.

I'm not sure, but the car runs fine and actually feels much stronger than before. So, I just disabled the SES light with HP tuners, but I don't want to let it go if it will be an issue down the road.

Anyway....... Is there a reason I should be worried about this code? and why could it be popping up?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0343 is Camshaft position sensor high input. The reason you can't put an LS2 cam into an LS1 is because the LS2 cam doesn't have the timing marks at the rear of the cam. This is because the LS2 engines have the camshaft position sensor at the front of the engine instead of the back. The LS2 reads camshaft position off the cam sprocket with a sensor in the front cover. Buy the LS2 timing set and LS2 front cover and everything should work out.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

If that's the case, I may just buy her a different cam.....if I have to take the timing chain cover off again either way, I may as well go ahead with something a little bigger.

What exactly does the sensor do? I mean I know it reads the cam position, but what does the computer do with that input, and how does it react when it doesn't get that signal?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I've used the Comp grinds in LS2's, all have the reluctor wheel on them, didn't think you could used the LS1 in an LS2, I was wrong(although not w/out the code)

here's some pics of the LS2 cover and sprocket

Old 01-01-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by connecticut
I've used the Comp grinds in LS2's, all have the reluctor wheel on them, didn't think you could used the LS1 in an LS2, I was wrong(although not w/out the code)
That's because Comp grinds LS1 cams, not LS2 cams. The LS1 cam is pretty much univeral because it will work in any LSx motor. An LS2 cam however, because it doesn't have the timing marks on the back of the cam, cannot be in an LS1/6 block where the cam sensor is the the back of the block. You need, as you show, the LS2 timing cover and timing set if your going to use an LS2 cam in a non-LS2 block.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I think we're just going to make it easier on ourselves and buy her a GT2-3 Cam from Lingenfelter, slap that in there, and start tuning.

I think that cam should be ideal for the goals we have with her car, as we don't intend to ever throw any headers on it. Maybe just a cat-back and stall.

Thanks for the input guys.....I just wish I had known before I took it all apart and installed everything.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PBMFIsMe
What exactly does the sensor do? I mean I know it reads the cam position, but what does the computer do with that input, and how does it react when it doesn't get that signal?
It tells the PCM if each cylinder is at the top of the compression stroke or the top of the exhaust stroke. The engine will run without the sensor input, because without it, it fires the plug at the top of both strokes, not just the compression stroke wasting spark so to speak.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT, so to use an LS2 cam in an LS1, you need:
LS2 Cam
LS2 Timing Chain
LS2 Camshaft Position Sensor
LS2 Timing gears

Am I correct? Anything else?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
TTT, so to use an LS2 cam in an LS1, you need:
LS2 Cam
LS2 Timing Chain
LS2 Camshaft Position Sensor
LS2 Timing gears

Am I correct? Anything else?
LS2 timing cover, which comes with the sensor. And a sensor harness adapter sold by several vendors over there --->
Old 12-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PBMFIsMe

It uses the input to synchronize the sequential fuel injection. It will run without it, but starting is much harder, and it runs on batch fire (bank to bank) and of course turns the light on.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

You (Can use) a LS1 cam in a LS2) but you (Can Not) use a LS2 cam in a LS1),You will also need a LS2 cam sensor relocation harness.I have a LS1 cam in my LS2 418 cid. right now with no problems at all and no codes ether.

Quick Reply: P0343 after cam swap - LS2 Cam in LS1 motor.