Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell which block I have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I tell which block I have?

I was doing some reading on this site and I recently learned that some of the 2002 F-body LS1's were given the LS6 block... I briefly read some of the stickys and they only thing I found was that you could tell if you had an LS6 block by the fact the color of the aluminum was darker, well, darker than what, I only have one block in my car, I have nothing to compair it to.

My two questions:

1) Is there an easier way of determining which block I have than the color, there must be a number on the deck lid somewhere right (i havent looked yet) what are the two different P/N's

2) Is there any advantage to having a LS1 built from a LS6 block opposed to an LS1 block

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Last edited by alamantia; 01-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alamantia
I was doing some reading on this site and I recently learned that some of the 2002 F-body LS1's were given the LS6 block... I briefly read some of the stickys and they only thing I found was that you could tell if you had an LS6 block by the gact the color of the aluminum was darker, well, darker than what, I only have one block in my car, I have nothing to compair it to.

My two questions:

1) Is there an easier way of determining which block I have than the color, there must be a number on the deck lid somewhere right (i havent looked yet) what are the two different P/N's

2) Is there any advantage to having a LS1 built from a LS6 block opposed to an LS1 block

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
1. Find the part number

2. No, it really doesnt matter.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/eb040538.htm