Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged 346 Question!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged 346 Question!!!!!

I've been thinking really hard about getting a short block here lately but I can't seem to decided what I want. I want it to be a nitrous motor. I've looked around at a couple of places but I was wanting to see what other people are running. I want it to be reasonable in price but at the same time, I want it to last. What kind of forged 346 setups are you guys running and about how much do you have in it?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for nitrous or sc/turbo setups your going to want a 2618 alloy forged piston. opinions may vary on this, but I think this is the general concensus. some builders feel that the 4032 alloy is strong enough and I guess you will have to gauge that based on how crazy you want to go. if you want it to last then get some good rods with really good bolts, and some extremely good pistons as this is most likely the weekest link in the short block ( I know first hand!!!) Im currently building my own short block with a new ls6 block, clevite bearings, diamond dished pistons (for supercharger) diamond pro select rings with the stainless steel upgrade top ring (you want this) callies compstar rods with arp 2000 bolts its going to cost me around 2600.00 for parts and machine work assembling it myself and reusing the stock crank (which is fine to 900 hp)thats with top notch parts though, If you try to buy this block and parts from someone assembled it will probably cost around 3500-4000
Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lmt0705
for nitrous or sc/turbo setups your going to want a 2618 alloy forged piston. opinions may vary on this, but I think this is the general concensus. some builders feel that the 4032 alloy is strong enough and I guess you will have to gauge that based on how crazy you want to go. if you want it to last then get some good rods with really good bolts, and some extremely good pistons as this is most likely the weekest link in the short block ( I know first hand!!!) Im currently building my own short block with a new ls6 block, clevite bearings, diamond dished pistons (for supercharger) diamond pro select rings with the stainless steel upgrade top ring (you want this) callies compstar rods with arp 2000 bolts its going to cost me around 2600.00 for parts and machine work assembling it myself and reusing the stock crank (which is fine to 900 hp)thats with top notch parts though, If you try to buy this block and parts from someone assembled it will probably cost around 3500-4000
that sounds like some good advice.but you can probably get a shortblock that will handle a healthy shot for less than 3500-4000,heck you can get a 408 for 3600 that will take a small shot.usually the better pistons aren't much higher than the base price and the upgraded bolts don't add alot either.i'd check with a few sponsors and remember to tell them you plan on spraying.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

The setup in my sig ran a 9.7 on spray. It has diamond flat pistons, eagle rods, stock crank.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I looked at ls1speed.com and texasspeed.com as well. But I just wasn't sure of what upgrades I should invest in and which ones would be overkill.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
8 Second Club

Call Dave at Canadian Performance-he's a sponser on here. Nitrous is his specialty. He's been building LS1 motors for along time-and just built a little 347 in which were going to slam a F1R on. His pricing is very good-he stand behind the product 100% and his turnaround time is awesome. Do a search under my sig and you'll see pics of my new motor.