Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to forge my LS6 myself, but need some help. v. Boosted

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to forge my LS6 myself, but need some help. v. Boosted

I am looking to do a budget build on my stock LS6 block in order to prepare for my PTK TT kit that I have coming a month or so. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and completly understand how the motor goes together.

What I'm wanting help with is, selecting the correct rods, pistons, etc. for my current block. I've never done the assembly before, and would like to try this myself. I'll be running a stock crank, so that saves some money there.

What would you guys go with, as far as budget parts? What all parts would be needed? Do I have to send the block out to the machine shop or can I simply pull out the rods and pistons, put in the new ones, and torque everything down? If it's as simple as that, I'm all for it. But, my instincts are telling me it's not as simple as that.

What would you do?

Thanks,
Austin
Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not going silly, spend $800 on a set of mahle dished pistons, H-beams with rings/bearings, get them balanced and be done with it, well, that along with a tune!!! =)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with a machine shop to check everything out. but there is so much that goes into checking a block and discussing your intentions with the shop. i would suggest either making friends with you machinist or getting a few books specifically tailored to the LS series of engines to help you through out the build. if this is your first build, i would atleast practice on a cheap 305 just to get the basics down. this is a big step in your wrenching life. and if your like me, you will get obsessed(sp) with engine building. i almost giggle a little bit everytime i have a new engine to build. good luck.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your going to have to get the assembly balanced and the block honed out