Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Cam For A Bolt On TA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Cam For A Bolt On TA

My mods are in my sig, basically what I am looking for is a cam I could throw in while I wait a few more years before I do a nice heads/cam package. Im looking for something not too mild but something that will give it a little more power and a nice idle. Any help suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no personal experience except stock, which is boring... but I've seen the TR230 make dynamite numbers, have great driveability, and be nice to tune. Idle sounds MEAN as hell too...

-J
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

alot of peeps seem to like 224/224 . not sure on lift but, I think it's something like .583/.583 if u want lopey go with lsa 112 or alittle mild lsa 114. me! I like it lopey I'm running 231/237 .589/.595 lsa 112+4

fuerzaws6
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I am worried about throwing in a cam with all stock internals. That is ok right. If I go with one of the cams lastcall or cowboy listed it should be fine right? Just curious! I dont want to do anything I would regret doing.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I have a ThunderRacing 224*/224* - 563"/563" on 112lsa. It has a little lope to it at idle. Put down 375/369 @ wheels with just LS6 intake , lid and full exhaust & a slipping clutch on a '00 M6 WS6. Id probably go with a slightly larger cam , but I purchased the car this way.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Junk 302
I have a ThunderRacing 224*/224* - 563"/563" on 112lsa. It has a little lope to it at idle. Put down 375/369 @ wheels with just LS6 intake , lid and full exhaust & a slipping clutch on a '00 M6 WS6. Id probably go with a slightly larger cam , but I purchased the car this way.
Nice, I like the numbers on your cam. Kinda in the ballpark I was thinking it was going to be. Those are some nice numbers too. Thanks man. Anyone else want to ring in?? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Search for "gillbot" and "Blk97ws6", both have the cam I mentioned and made near 400rwhp cam only, the former of whom is on an AUTO with mac mids. If I was gonna do cam only I'd do the TR230, but I'm waiting and going bigger with a H/C package. Good luck!

-J
Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Search for "gillbot" and "Blk97ws6", both have the cam I mentioned and made near 400rwhp cam only, the former of whom is on an AUTO with mac mids. If I was gonna do cam only I'd do the TR230, but I'm waiting and going bigger with a H/C package. Good luck!

-J
Im on the same boat you are about going with a nice size H/C package, but Im getting married and I cant spend the money I would love to spend right now, so thats why Im going with a nice cam for the time being.

I dont need to do any other internal mods before the cam do I. IE rods .......

I want to do everything the right way. Im going to look into the TR230. Thanks LastCall
Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FMS F13 -or- TR 230/236
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
FMS F13 -or- TR 230/236
Thanks man. Sounds like alot like the TR230.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Im on the same boat you are about going with a nice size H/C package, but Im getting married and I cant spend the money I would love to spend right now, so thats why Im going with a nice cam for the time being.

I dont need to do any other internal mods before the cam do I. IE rods .......

I want to do everything the right way. Im going to look into the TR230. Thanks LastCall
Ah gotcha... yea if for some reason I decide to just do cam only the only one I'd look at is the TR230... considering I DD my car, low end torque is a must, and that's why this cam is so attractive to me. I see cams making more power than this cam only, but *I* like what I see on the graphs of this cam compared to others. I am pretty sure Blur runs the F13 and he's done 120mph IIRC on cam ONLY so that seems like a pretty solid performer too. In the end, a custom cam can TRULY get you exactly what you want, Predator-Z and Pat G are pretty helpful if you have somewhat of a good idea on what you're looking for. The only thing I've heard of people doing are the rod bolts on 98s (maybe 98-00, can someone confirm?), nothing else internally changed minus the oil pump (is that internal mod?). Good luck.

-J
Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah gotcha... yea if for some reason I decide to just do cam only the only one I'd look at is the TR230... considering I DD my car, low end torque is a must, and that's why this cam is so attractive to me. I see cams making more power than this cam only, but *I* like what I see on the graphs of this cam compared to others. I am pretty sure Blur runs the F13 and he's done 120mph IIRC on cam ONLY so that seems like a pretty solid performer too. In the end, a custom cam can TRULY get you exactly what you want, Predator-Z and Pat G are pretty helpful if you have somewhat of a good idea on what you're looking for. The only thing I've heard of people doing are the rod bolts on 98s (maybe 98-00, can someone confirm?), nothing else internally changed minus the oil pump (is that internal mod?). Good luck.

-J
Sweet this helps a ton. Mine is sorta a daily driver...in a way. I only drive it after work, but I want it to be a decent street car for having fun, it might see the track once or twice a year. I like the low end tq too. I just have to figure out where I can take the car to have this done, Im short on time and resources. I live in Erie PA, and there is nothing here. Thanks for the help again. Oil Pump and possibally rod bolts, thats not too bad.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, a pre set package from either TSP or TR should have damn near everything you'd WANT to replace... pump, rods, springs, etc. etc.... then timing chain you'll want to replace with IIRC the LS2 set. Also, IIRC the TR230 has only 5 degrees of overlap, making it comparatively easy to tune (so far as I've been told from asking a few people). I remember posting a thread about this cam in I think the internal section (this one), can't find it at the moment, but I got some input from a few people whose opinion I valued.

-J

Edit: here found it https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/642284-input-combo.html some input from others as well, disregard that I had milled AFRs picked out, that was merely to bump up the DCR even FURTHER for more power out of the combo.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, a pre set package from either TSP or TR should have damn near everything you'd WANT to replace... pump, rods, springs, etc. etc.... then timing chain you'll want to replace with IIRC the LS2 set. Also, IIRC the TR230 has only 5 degrees of overlap, making it comparatively easy to tune (so far as I've been told from asking a few people). I remember posting a thread about this cam in I think the internal section (this one), can't find it at the moment, but I got some input from a few people whose opinion I valued.

-J

Edit: here found it https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642284 some input from others as well, disregard that I had milled AFRs picked out, that was merely to bump up the DCR even FURTHER for more power out of the combo.

As far as getting a new oil pump...I didn't, simply b/c I didn't want to drop my oil pan taking that much longer. I also reused my timing chain...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a LS1 timing chain very similar to the LS2? No need to change that if your just staying cam only. Will save some $$$ too. I just got the whole package from Thunder Racing (cam, pushrods, and retainers) Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I went with the TR 224/224 114LSA. car has a little lope but nothing that will be obnoxious in traffic. I put down 388rwhp and 385 tq on basic bolt-ons (LT's, ORY, Hooker and Lid) I have a 01 TA M6 BTW.

Once my car was tuned by Redline here in the STL, the car is a JOY to drive. Great manners around town, almost just like having my loudmouth.

As far as low-end torque goes...I have 325 lb. ft. at 2500 rpm. Do you need any more than that driving around town? I know I don't. This cam is a proven performer on the street and at the track, which is why I choose this setup...I want to leave the TA at home everyday to save miles on it, but I can't seem to leave it in the garage b/c its so much fun now!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I have 105k miles on my components, so replacing everything to me is merely peace of mind I like the LS6 pump versus the stock 98-00 pump. You have an 01 so correct me if I'm wrong but I think you got the exact pump I would end up swapping in Glad to hear you have success with your cam, the TR224 is a ridiculously well proven performer The more I see stories like your's, the more I wanna just slap cam only on my car and have a bit of fun before tearing it down for the whole H/C setup

-J

Thanks for pointing out about your lope, lemme point out that the TR230... the 110LSA isn't too... inconspicuous
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

-J

Edit: here found it https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642284 some input from others as well, disregard that I had milled AFRs picked out, that was merely to bump up the DCR even FURTHER for more power out of the combo.
After reading your other post, do you think its ok to run a stock manifold? I guess im a little worried about running this cam mainly stock.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Blk97ws6 runs this cam on a stock LS1 manifold and made 38Xrwhp and 39Xrwtq
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Gentlemen
As far as getting a new oil pump...I didn't, simply b/c I didn't want to drop my oil pan taking that much longer. I also reused my timing chain...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a LS1 timing chain very similar to the LS2? No need to change that if your just staying cam only. Will save some $$$ too. I just got the whole package from Thunder Racing (cam, pushrods, and retainers) Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I went with the TR 224/224 114LSA. car has a little lope but nothing that will be obnoxious in traffic. I put down 388rwhp and 385 tq on basic bolt-ons (LT's, ORY, Hooker and Lid) I have a 01 TA M6 BTW.

Once my car was tuned by Redline here in the STL, the car is a JOY to drive. Great manners around town, almost just like having my loudmouth.

As far as low-end torque goes...I have 325 lb. ft. at 2500 rpm. Do you need any more than that driving around town? I know I don't. This cam is a proven performer on the street and at the track, which is why I choose this setup...I want to leave the TA at home everyday to save miles on it, but I can't seem to leave it in the garage b/c its so much fun now!!!

Wow those are decent numbers you put up. I definately will be going with Thunder Racing for the cam, Just so many good things about them. Its between the 224 and the 230 that last call is helping me with. I just get worried about little things, as in, too aggressive, too strong of a cam for what I have, too mild of a cam. Thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blk97ws6 runs this cam on a stock LS1 manifold and made 38Xrwhp and 39Xrwtq
I checked out his profile, thats a sweet set up. Looks like he likes it too. Great numbers.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Basically this cam is a best bang for the buck mod am I wrong? Im basically just looking for somehting that is going to bump my power up where I really want it to be for under $400 some. I want the sound/better power. There are some decent cars up here, and I just want to hang in there more, if not a little better!!!