Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Engine running rough? CHECK THIS OUT..CRAZY BUT REAL!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Engine running rough? CHECK THIS OUT..CRAZY BUT REAL!

Engine running rough? CHECK THIS OUT..CRAZY BUT REAL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up...

The car was running like crap! I was what the fuc...? Maybe it was internal issue...maybe it was the tune? I could n't figure it out...and the car was running crazy leaness....pegging at 25 ..maxing out the computer...(the pcv valve was bad and letting the car run lean like crazy at part throttle..vibrating the car..it was terrible..) then I replaced the pcv valve and all was good but...the pcv was getting sucked into the tube that holds it and again....vaccuum leak?

I changed the bad 6 dollar pcv valve and the car ran awesome...and then it took a dump again... I was like WTF?????

Well the pcv valve was getting sucked into the black tube that holds it...and then the car was running rough as hell...Really bad! I thought for sure I fuc ed the motor....somewhere somehow...or it was the tune? or this or that....

Took all the fun out of driving the car...

So I made sure the pcv silver metal band stop was outside the black plastic...with a little silver showing between the two seperate black hoses...

Thats how the pcv is supposed to sit ..

I took a zip tie and put it around the socket portion of the black tube that holds the pcv valve and the cars running smooth as hell..

I've been all over the map with this dam driveability issue...

Thinking it was the motor...the rings...the tune...the....intake leaking?

It was the stupid pcv valve needing replacement and then needed to be set right so it wasn't sinking into the black hole of the tube completely..

The pcv needs to rest on the outer ring of the pcv valve and the black hose..

Just a heads up...

I wasted quite a few miles trying to figure this out..

Good luck...(its running that much better that I can't believe the difference with such a stupid cause)

The answer is sometimes in the simple details...

No ****

JB

(edit: Give me a photo of any c5 engine bay with the covers removed....on the passenger side and I'll be glad to make a few pointers so people can see what I'm talking about...

THIS HAS TO BE THE DUMBEST CAUSE OF A TERRIBLE DRIVABILITY ISSUE THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED...

The largest silver ring of the pcv valve needs to rest on the outer lip of the plastic boot that cups it....

Do that and the car doesn't lose vacuum...

Mine was getting sucked in and then it wasn't sitting right and it was causing a vacuum leak...

The car ran like **** till I set the pcv valve correctly in its holder...

This is the part number and photo that holds the pcv valve..I didn't buy this cause it was a hundred bucks...at the dealership yesterday...I just zip tied the pcv valve so it couldn't get sucked into the tube again...It works!

Search Results of Available Items
*Prices are Per Unit

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM PART # 12573109
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $98.93
OUR PRICE: $58.65

DESCRIPTION: TUBE
Old 03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

good job
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm really passes this thing along because I can't tell you guys how long I was chasing this thing...

I can't tell you how many really good mechanics looked at this car and didnt' spot it..

I 'm hoping any body down the road who experienced terrible driveability....maybe some weird vibrations going through the rpm band might do a search and see this thread..

I'm still laughing my @ss off at how HUGE a difference this made!

For the first time in a long time the cars running SMOOTH as silk...

Driveability is back to like it was when new...!

HTH
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah sometimes things are just so simple. Good fix.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

The car was so annoying to drive...I was getting ready to build a new motor!

I thought for sure for the longest time the motor was fuc'd!

Those vacuum leak issues can really cause crazy driveability problems....

Now the cars running awesome!

No new motor needed (right now anyway!)

Cha ching!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Was your car ever having any problems holding an idle during startup? What about when you were driving down the road at around 45-55mph, were you getting any fluttering/hesitation under steady throttle or no throttle?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
Was your car ever having any problems holding an idle during startup? What about when you were driving down the road at around 45-55mph, were you getting any fluttering/hesitation under steady throttle or no throttle?
The car held its idle ok for a car with a cam...It was ok....

I don't know if I was getting fluttering/hestitation...cause wot was ok...and the driveability issues were sporatic....

I'd suggest changing it out and making sure its not too far into the tube ..

Its so simple....to do..
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

I'd like to see a picture of the engine bay that you were also asking for so I can get a better idea of what you're talking about. If no one posts up today, I'll get one on here this weekend.

Reason I ask the questions above, is because those are the problems I am having. If you had the same problems, maybe it could be my pcv, but I'm stock internal and you're not having the same problems from what I can tell. I'm glad you fixed your problem though, I'm still working on mine!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have a working camera so shoot up a photo and I'll copy and mark it up and repost it.

I would recommend this because I bet its more common than any of us realize.

If you have a driveability problem that would be the first course of action..(may not work but for 2 minutes time and 6 bucks? I'd suggest ruling it out...)

HTH
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid
Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

See the black tube between the oil fill cap and the small pully ..Dead center in the photo. HTH

That black tube pulls apart at its widest part..

Thats where the pcv valve is located..

Last edited by JBsZ06; 03-24-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
So I made sure the pcv silver metal band stop was outside the black plastic...with a little silver showing between the two seperate black hoses...

Thats how the pcv is supposed to sit ..

I took a zip tie and put it around the socket portion of the black tube that holds the pcv valve and the cars running smooth as hell..
Are you sure this is correct? The black 'boot' that holds the PCV valve has a groove inside it where the outer ring of the PCV valve sits. Mine has been this way since new. I've changed the PCV valve many times and never thought of putting the PCV ring outside the 'boot'.

The PCV does cause very negative effects if not working correctly.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I'm NOT sure...mine had a groove in there too...but the cars running better..

I guess I could go back to the inside groove and see if it gets worse?

I thought the groove was because the pcv valve got sucked in there once?..

Are you sure the groove is from the factory? and thats what its for?

Sorry guys..
Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
No I'm NOT sure...mine had a groove in there too...but the cars running better..

I guess I could go back to the inside groove and see if it gets worse?

I thought the groove was because the pcv valve got sucked in there once?..

Are you sure the groove is from the factory? and thats what its for?

Sorry guys..
The groove is positively there from the factory. IMHO, the PCV system on the Z06 is crap. It causes the intake to ingest copious amounts of oil that pools in the throttle body.

I do notice a difference when I change the PCV valve, but it seems to wear out fast. I've relegated myself to changing it every oil change until I figure out something else.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
The groove is positively there from the factory. IMHO, the PCV system on the Z06 is crap. It causes the intake to ingest copious amounts of oil that pools in the throttle body.

I do notice a difference when I change the PCV valve, but it seems to wear out fast. I've relegated myself to changing it every oil change until I figure out something else.
Did you ever have any problems like the ones I was mentioning in post #6?? Would you think this could be cause by a bad PCV? This is what the BACK of my throttle body looked like when I removed it to clean this past weekend.
Here was the front.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
Did you ever have any problems like the ones I was mentioning in post #6?? Would you think this could be cause by a bad PCV? This is what the BACK of my throttle body looked like when I removed it to clean this past weekend.
Here was the front.
I've had continuous problems with surging at light throttle/cruise. I always contributed it to the Halltech TRAP but later found out that it was the PCV valve.

The picture of the back looks like the front of my throttle body. Before I installed the dual catch cans, I had a pool of oil in the throttle body that leaked between the TB and air bridge coupler.

What CAI and filter are you running? Vararam foam by chance?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Vararam B2, grey filter. I recently had bad idle issues to the point of my car continuously dying multiple times. Since then I have cleaned up my throttle body, cleaned the MAF, resealed my Vararam unit, and checked for vacuum leaks. The bad idle is gone, but I still have the low throttle stumbling/surging/bucking/hesitation...whatever you want to call it. I had this problem before any cleaning done. The only mods I have done to the car are the Vararam and long tubes with high flow cats. Both were installed last October with no issues until recently. The car has not been dyno tuned. Maybe an easy check would be this pcv valve...before I get into things like fuel pressure/fuel pump/injectors/etc.

Quick Reply: LS Engine running rough? CHECK THIS OUT..CRAZY BUT REAL!