Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Stat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-Stat?

Okay, so I get it all back together after sitting for the winter and doing a head/cam swap. Started right up on the first try. Ran for a bit, shut it down then started it back up a couple of times. Let it cool, checked the coolant and oil. All was good

Problem happened when I took it out for a ride. About a half mile and the ride temp started to shoot up. Got it back home and someone on here told me to check the t-stat. Sunday evening and nothing was open so I just pulled the stat out and - Perfect - Runs about 170 -180 now with no issues.

Question is, do I need a stat? It's a summer driver only. Used to run old school iron blocks without 'em all the time. New to LS1 world tho, don't want to screw something up
Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Can't run without the T-stat, as the water/coolant will never have time to cool in the radiator before returning to the engine. Especially in the city, you will overheat or run pretty hot. Highway driving/cruising will be ok because of the ram air doing most of the work.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard of guys in Vegas running without their T-stats. But you living in chicago I think you'll need it.