Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I check pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I check pushrod length?

I have Crane Quick-lift rockers and I need to know how to check pushrod length. I have a Comp pushrod length checker, but I'm not sure about what the lifter is doing. When I loosen the rocker, will the lifter stay compressed like it was when the valve spring was pushing on it, or will it expand to normal, unloaded height? If it expands, when I install the PR tool, how do I go about tightening the rocker down to zero lash? Won't the rocker keep pushing further down after it contacts the valve, I realize the valve won't open but won't the rocker keep pivioting tward the PR untill it contacts it? Dosen't the rocker have to be set and the PR tool expanded to touch the rocker? I guess I'm wondering if the rocker has a stopping point I have to reach before I can adjust the tool correctly. Long ? but I don't know the answer.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cranes are fully adjustable rockers so the procedure is different as the pushrod length determines lifter preload and also wipe pattern so there are two variables that have to be monitored during the pushrod checking procedure.

Do you have the Crane pushrods that come with the kit? In reading your profile, looks like you have a stock head/cam arrangement, the pushrods should be 7.250" if that is the case.

If that is not the case I can try and walk you through what I did.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start w/ the pushrod checker at <7.250" since that was suggested w/ preload. The goal is to get the length checker in and the bolt torqued to 22 ft/lb with no preload. Then add the suggested preload to that number.

When you first tighten the rocker bolt by hand and get it pretty close stop. Now if you push down on the rocker, on the pushrod side you should feel the spring in the lifter compress and fully return to open. Make sure you are not compressing the lifter spring when taking your measurement.

I did mine recently. 6.80 (checker length) + (10.5 (turns out) x .050 (1 turn on the checker)) = 7.325 + preload = pushrod length
Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Cranes are fully adjustable rockers so the procedure is different as the pushrod length determines lifter preload and also wipe pattern so there are two variables that have to be monitored during the pushrod checking procedure.

Do you have the Crane pushrods that come with the kit? In reading your profile, looks like you have a stock head/cam arrangement, the pushrods should be 7.250" if that is the case.

If that is not the case I can try and walk you through what I did.
I do have stock heads and cam but I am changing to an ASA cam. And yes, I currently have the PR's that came with the Crane kit.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

also off the subject, I've heard when installing the balancer it goes on a lot easier if you heat it in an oven. Does this not damage the front cover seal with the heat?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM
11Second Club

If you have a long enough bolt to pull the balancer on (which you should get), then there's no need for that. You just put it on there the best you can, thread the bolt in, and torque it on down. Piece of cake.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSsuperdave
also off the subject, I've heard when installing the balancer it goes on a lot easier if you heat it in an oven. Does this not damage the front cover seal with the heat?
Your coolant temps are normally 200*, no problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSsuperdave
You can buy the tool from a member on here. It works great.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/391883-new-crank-dampener-installation-tool-pics.html
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you determine what preload you need on your lifters?