Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morel Lifter Cold Tick Solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Morel Lifter Cold Tick Solved

Ever since I put in my Morel lifters, they would be quiet upon first start and then about 30 seconds later would tick for a few minutes until the oil warmed. Once the oil warmed a bit (not hot, maybe 100 degrees) the lifters would quiet right down.

Up until this last oil change, I had been running the German Castrol. My supply of German Castrol finally ran out so I switched to Amsoil 5W-30. Two cold starts so far with the new oil, not a single peep out of the lifters when cold. It appears that thicker German Castrol was the source of the issue all along.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never did like the extra noise generated by the German Castrol oil...I've been using Amsoil ever since.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Ever since I put in my Morel lifters, they would be quiet upon first start and then about 30 seconds later would tick for a few minutes until the oil warmed. Once the oil warmed a bit (not hot, maybe 100 degrees) the lifters would quiet right down.
Up until this last oil change, I had been running the German Castrol. My supply of German Castrol finally ran out so I switched to Amsoil 5W-30. Two cold starts so far with the new oil, not a single peep out of the lifters when cold. It appears that thicker German Castrol was the source of the issue all along.

By German Castrol do you mean 0W-30 German Castrol; this is usually the case. If so, then @ start up temperature the German Castrol is not thicker than 5W-30 Amsoil. Although @ operating temperature the German Castrol 0W-30 has a viscosity close to that of a -40, the viscosity @ start up is that of a 0W- oil. For example: a 0W- oil @ 75 degrees F (approx. start-up temp.)has a viscocity of 40 where a 5W- is higher, around 70. @ operating temp., both oils have a viscocity of around 10. So, the reduction in lifter noise is likely due to the thicker viscocity of the 5W- oil @ start up temperature. If it were me, I'd go back to a 0W- weight oil because it gets to it's optimum viscocity of 10 sooner after start up because it's start up temperature is closer (40) to a 10 viscocity @ start up temperatures. This means less wear on the engine bearings (@ the expense of lifter noise) than 5W- & higher oils while the engine is coming up to temperature.

Source: "Dr. Haas write up on motor oils"
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't seem to find the data on the German Castrol, but I think if you look at the ASTM D445 measurement for 40 degrees "C" you will find the Castrol has a higher viscosity. Some of the other testing such as ASTM 5293, taken at -35, shows the Amsoil to have lower numbers (5106 vs. 6200) than the German Castrol.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ASTM 5293 is based on 10W-30 oils. Actually, only the Amsoil is noted as being 10W-30 for sure. The others could be 10W-30, 20W-50, or who knows, as they are labled only by brand name, not grade. Most likely, all of the oils tested in ASTM 5293 were 10W-30 grade oils.

Amsoil is great oil, there's no despute in that. Personally, if I were to use Amsoil in my LS6, it would be 0W-40 for the reasons stated in my original post. If there were such an oil as -5W-30, I'd probably choose it over the 0W-30; all in the name of reducing wear until the oil reaches operating temperature. Further, I'd confirm the belief w/ UOA. Haven't used Amsoil 0W-40 yet, but would expect it produce similar & maybe even better numbers to 0W-30 Geman Castrol.

Do you have UOA numbers for 5W-30 Amsoil? I'd be interested in seeing them, 'cuz if Amsoil 10W-30 is that much better than most @ start up, then I'd expect 5W-30 & 0W-40 Amsoil to produce even better numbers than Amsoil 10W-30.

I'm heading over to BITOG to see if they have any; this is interesting.

Edit: Added BITOG information

Found a few good GC 0W-30 UOA's

Found zero Amsoil 0W-40 UOA's as it's not made

Found one Amsoil 5W-40 UOA that wasn't good

Found a couple Amsoil 0W-30 UOA's that were good

Last edited by LS1-450; 07-03-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added BITOG information
Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Before the "GC Discovery", I was running the Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) in the car with excellent UOA's that I was having Terry Dyson review. The only issue I had at the time was the Amsoil was thickening out of grade.

I then switched to GC and good results. The tick started with the installation of the Morel's as they have very tight internal tolerances. Once the oil warmed a bit it would disappear. So far I have had two cold starts on the Amsoil and haven't heard a peep out of the lifters. Mind you, the lifters would not tick when first started with the GC, it was only after about 30 seconds of running that they would start to tick as if they were bleeding down some.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Found it:

Viscosity at 40* C

Amsoil - 55.8 Cst
German Castrol - 68.5 Cst

Quick Reply: Morel Lifter Cold Tick Solved