Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is causing my power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is causing my power loss?

well about a year ago my car dynoed at 380hp just recently the car lost power drasticly. it still runs and drives ok but now only makes 270hp. what internal damage could cause this? there is no knock, and a compression test says all everything is ok.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikshockey
well about a year ago my car dynoed at 380hp just recently the car lost power drasticly. it still runs and drives ok but now only makes 270hp. what internal damage could cause this? there is no knock, and a compression test says all everything is ok.
Did you have the same shop, and technician do all the dyno pulls? If no, then you are probably a victim of "dynotruthicus". This is an affliction that attacks many dyno queens, it starts out inconspicuous, with, let's say optimistic, dyno results. Then, months or even years later, dynotruthicus strikes it's victim, this being in the form of another dyno shop, possibly not even in the same city or town, performing more dyno pulls, but not using the same tricks as the first dyno shop did to inflate the RWHP numbers. This can lead to devestating emotional problems, sometimes...now this is rare, but it can happen, the realization that dyno numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously. Remember, only real track time gives real results.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
Did you have the same shop, and technician do all the dyno pulls? If no, then you are probably a victim of "dynotruthicus". This is an affliction that attacks many dyno queens, it starts out inconspicuous, with, let's say optimistic, dyno results. Then, months or even years later, dynotruthicus strikes it's victim, this being in the form of another dyno shop, possibly not even in the same city or town, performing more dyno pulls, but not using the same tricks as the first dyno shop did to inflate the RWHP numbers. This can lead to devestating emotional problems, sometimes...now this is rare, but it can happen, the realization that dyno numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously. Remember, only real track time gives real results.
i know what you mean but this is a cammed full bolt on car with a good tune, i just dont see my car making less than 350hp. but like i said the car has a definite loss of power. also i deff dont see a diff dyno showing a 110 less hp, i could understand mabey 30hp but 110 does not seem realistic.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

need to do a leak down test on that, and check to see if you have any bad cyl. then go from there.

Justin
Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

situation is not funny at all,,but damn that post is.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
hahahahahah Best post EVER!!!!! fricken CHRIST!

But let me get this Straight... YOU CANT FEEL 110 REAR WHEEL HP LOSS!!!!

Christ man.. You fell victim to the RWHP bug. let me guess. That dyno shops "bolt ons" added 50 RWHP also right???
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Track times then & now ?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
situation is not funny at all,,but damn that post is.

That was funny and well thought out. I might have to borrow that one day.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
FormerVendor

To be more serious...
What Goat Cheese posted while funny needs to be taken seriously.
Give us some more info on your setup.
Same dyno as before? If no what kind was it before and what kind of dyno was it the last time?
Mustang dynos can be 20-30% lower then dynojets.
110 RWHP should easily be noticed in the seat of the pants feel.
You have left out way to much info to answer your questions accurately.
Jeremy
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MPHmotorsports
To be more serious...
What Goat Cheese posted while funny needs to be taken seriously.
Give us some more info on your setup.
Same dyno as before? If no what kind was it before and what kind of dyno was it the last time?
Mustang dynos can be 20-30% lower then dynojets.
110 RWHP should easily be noticed in the seat of the pants feel.
You have left out way to much info to answer your questions accurately.
Jeremy
well its an 01 a4 with full bolt-ons, and a mti cam, stall, gears.....

its not the same shop but same type of dyno.

and yes you can deff feel a difference, the car wont even spin from a dead stop now. before i was running 7.3x's 1/8th.

the car still has no knock, im thinking the car may have a cracked piston or floated valves. just dont have time to pull the heads, when i get time ill let you know.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

There are other tests to see if your missing something in the bottom end. Did you doa leak dwon test and compression test?
I would pull the valve covers and make sure everything there is intact and as it should be. What kind of dyno were you on?
7.3's in the 1/8 is a very good time and shows the car has some good power if it is full weight or close to full weight. How big is you converter and what gears do you run?
Either way if your down that far on power something is wrong for sure.
good luck finding the HP robber.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MPHmotorsports
There are other tests to see if your missing something in the bottom end. Did you doa leak dwon test and compression test?
I would pull the valve covers and make sure everything there is intact and as it should be. What kind of dyno were you on?
7.3's in the 1/8 is a very good time and shows the car has some good power if it is full weight or close to full weight. How big is you converter and what gears do you run?
Either way if your down that far on power something is wrong for sure.
good luck finding the HP robber.
didnt do a leakdown but comp test showed good comp on all eight.

i have also pulled the vavle covers, pushrods and everything, no damage was visible, and all springs were good.

dynojet dyno, close to full weight, converter is a 4000 and 4.10 gears. full suspension.

motor is coming out today, so ill post up the hp robber. it was time for a rebuild with 95k on the clock anyway.

thanks for your help and advise.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

well hopefully you find somthing, i recently did a leak down on my car and found two bad cyl.. After tearing it down i found i had two broken ring lands.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
well hopefully you find somthing, i recently did a leak down on my car and found two bad cyl.. After tearing it down i found i had two broken ring lands.
thats what i think it might be, or broken piston either way its time to rebuild and forge the motor.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

well finally got around to it. with the heads off found eyebrows on a couple of pistons. also found out the driver side head gasket was leaking, thank god i did not hydrolock the motor.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks; but good luck with the rebuild!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikshockey
well finally got around to it. with the heads off found eyebrows on a couple of pistons. also found out the driver side head gasket was leaking, thank god i did not hydrolock the motor.
There goes the "dynotruthicus" theory. Good luck on your repairs.