Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head questions and suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head questions and suggestions?

First off, I want to establish which type of head I will be using on my car? (ex: LS1, LS6, 5.3, 6.0, etc.) Im not sure what the differences between all of them, but if someone would please explain it to me, I would really appreciate it. Once I understand what the difference between all of them and which would benefit me most, then I will choose. I dont plan to spray on it, turbo or super charge it, and as of right now, (which I dont think that Ill ever have money to go into the bottow end of the car), Im not doing bottow end work, so thats out of the picture. I plan to just have all the bolt-ons and a cam, (which I currently have now) heads, and a 12-bolt with a gear. Once I do heads and a 12-bolt, thats my stopping point for my car as far as peformance goes. So that should help you as to giving me a suggestion or an opinion on which type of head to go with and which stage of work that should be done to it. Oh and by the way, its my daily driver and I dont race it much, just on the street. Havent taken it to the track because I dont have the tires, rear, or gear to get a good time. I plan for it to be streetable, but can easily be taken to the track without any problems and walk out of there in one piece. I dont wanna go too crazy and then one day have to upgrade my bottom end. Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 11:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Head questions and suggestions?

Once I do heads and a 12-bolt, thats my stopping point for my car as far as peformance goes
Thats what they all say!

If you aren't going into the bottom end or adding cubes, either get some LS1 heads and have them milled a bit to raise the compression ratio, or just get some 5.3L/4.8L heads and have them ported.

The LS6 and 6.0L heads have the same port shapes and flow numbers, but really only benefit larger sized engines for the dollar spent. The 6.0L heads are basically LS6 heads with larger combustion chamber volumes, which is less compression ratio, and is good for boost.

Tony
Old 05-14-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't have said it better than Nineball did. From what it sounds to me, you're looking for a nice budget setup. In my opinion, you would be best off sticking with your original LS1 5.7L heads and getting them ported.

The stock compression on your engine is 10.1:1. You can mill you heads .020" and get 10.5:1 or .030" and get 10.8:1 which is still a nice jump over stock.

I'm assuming you dont have a huge cam right now, so a nice set of Absolute Speed Stage 2s would compliment your setup without breaking the bank.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

I really do plan to stop there, because it will be a while before I reach those goals. About the heads...which would be cheaper: getting LS1 heads milled and ported or to get 5.3s and have them ported? (5.3 wont have to be milled correct?) How much would I have to mill an LS1 head to be equivalent to what the 5.3 will bump it up to. So what is the difference between an stock LS1 head and a stock 5.3? This is my opinion, but doesnt it seem more logical to just get the 5.3 and have it ported so that I wouldnt have to worry about milling them which probably is more money. But I dont know the prices of any of the stuff, so it really could be more expensive doing it that way as opposed to just getting an LS1 head ported and milled. About how much power am I likely to see with the both of these heads? Im running the C2 cam and Manley valvetrain from MTI and have all the bolt-ons. Im currently pushing 417 rwhp with an M6, stock rear with 3.42. Would the numbers (hp and flow) be the same with a LS1 milled and ported head vs. a 5.3 ported head? Thanks. By the way, Im looking to get the best set of heads. (meaning the ones that have been the most consistent with numbers and have been making awesome power with no complaints.)
Old 05-14-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a performance valve job done and my heads decked .010 to bring them up to .040, and I didn't spend more than 200.00 That was just in machine work. But it seems that you already have replaced some of the stock valve train, so I don't see you spending more than 400.00 on machine work on your stock heads. That is the route that I would go, take of your stockers, take them to the machine shop get them decked .030 and have some port work done.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

I was actually looking into getting stage 2 heads, but Im not sure on where Im going to get them from. Id rather pay the extra money a get heads that are done right and that are from a shop that specializes in a particular motor and head. From what it looks like, Im either going with an LS1 head or a 5.3. Which ever I decide, I hope that Im happy with because thats a lot of money to spend and not be happy. Im willing to pay the extra cash, but I want it to be worth it. I hear that the GTP heads are the best, what do you guys think? Im looking to get awesome gains. I gained 52rwhp with my cam and look forward to picking up good numbers with some heads. Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club NA

I hear that MTI and GTP are really the best heads. Meaning they are putting out the best numbers on the dyno and the track. But when it comes to stock cubes and stock bottom end, that Absolute Speed and TEA are really good for those applications. As I stated before, I dont want to put any kind of forced induction, bump up the cubes, or touch the bottom end. So from knowing that, what stage and type of head would best work for me? Do you think that I should wait and save the extra money to get one of those high dollar heads, or would I get the same results as the cheaper ones? By the way, what are stage 1.5 heads? How do they differ from stage 2? Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you think that I should wait and save the extra money to get one of those high dollar heads, or would I get the same results as the cheaper ones? By the way, what are stage 1.5 heads? How do they differ from stage 2? Thanks
I think you'd do well with the TEA 1.5 5.3L heads. They'll ocassionally go on sale for $1470. You wouldn't have to mill as much as the 5.7's to get higher compression. That way, if you ever upgrade to a bigger cam, you won't have to worry about p/v clearance issues either. As far as the stages, you can't compare from vendor to vendor. There is no set standard they have to follow. On TEA's, I think the port job is the same for all their stages...it's the options that change. For example, their stage 1 has single springs, their stage 1.5's have comp dual springs with ferra intake and stock exhaust valves, and their stage 2's have aftermarket intake and exhaust valves. But, they recomend their stage 2's more for cars going forced induction as the aftermarket exhaust valve will have more strength than the stock exhaust valve on their 1.5's. But, believe it or not, their 1.5 flows more on the exhaust than their stage 2. Now, have I totally confused you?
Old 05-18-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd keep an eye out for a good used set of MTI or GTP heads, they put out the best numbers and times from what I've seen, of course there are a few other head porters up there w/ them but if you took a poll to see which heads are on the fastest ls1's MTI and GTP would come up ALOT! There is a guy selling a set of gtp 2.5 heads in the for sale forum for like 1800 bucks but he wants your stock heads, I'm sure you can talk him down a little more.

AJ