Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Consumption tell me what you think

Here we go.

The PCV system is competely bypassed. I have a catch can that takes the PCV from the driverside and passenger side valve covers in 3/4" tubing to the catch can at a lower level then the engine. To the can where its vented to atmosphere and the TB is blocked.

My engine is eating oil when I go into boost. I have fouled out at least 4-5 sets of plugs. It blows blue/white smoke till it gets to about 3000 RPM's (full boost at that point) where it starts to turn black. All the way through till 6200. Makes plenty of power, but we are sure it will make more when its not choking my cylinders with oil. Anyway, leak down shows that I am getting less then 5% loss in all cylinders. I replaced all the valve seals. They use to have the one peice style on them where only 1/4 of the seal was actually on it. SO when cahnging them I thought for sure I found the issue. The heads are ported 243's. The intake has been ported to where the bolts from the intake rockers are exposed but it is sealed well when installed and torqued. I have heard things from a blown head gasket to crushed pistol seals, cracked cylindr walls, cracked heads etc. I have no anti freeze in the oil, and well no oil in the antifreeze. SO I am ruling out anti the head gasket , but I dunno what do you all you guys think.

Damon
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Restricted User

What oil pump are you running? I have a Mellings high volume high pressure pump and it has the red spring in it. I have 70psi of oil pressure at ilde and it pegs at WOT. I have oil consumption issues as well, about 1 qt every 200-300 miles. From what I have read, is that the excess oil coming from the bearing is throwing so much oil into the cylinders that the oil rings cannot control that anount of oil. I still have to replace the spring to see if that resolves the problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a factory oil pump. And I eat oil at a rate of a quart in less then 50 miles.

One more thing I forgot to mention, I am getting 20 PSI under normal driving when I start to gain RPM's it goes up to 40PSI and will maybe hit 45PSI. To me it seems the oil is being pushed somewhere. I am about to tear it down myself or have someone do it for me. This sucks

Damon

Last edited by bd mnky; 08-20-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure, you have no lines going into the intake? There is a vacuum line that needs to breath and it usually draws it from the PCV system. Not just the return line going to TB.
There were two sources of air to intake. One to TB and one directly to intake.

Was the bottom end built for boost? How many miles on it?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the vacum lines hooked up the only thing I disconnected from the intake of the Maggie was the PCV. Bottom end is stock. I have never had an issue with a stock bottom end and F/I with around 10 lbs of boost. I did have my bottom end rebuilt with new rings. I have less then 1000 miles on the setup. About half of that is dyno and tuning

Last edited by bd mnky; 08-21-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Restricted User

Did you ever get your issue resolved???
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

It could definitely be a head gasket. There are separate passages for both oil and antifreeze in the head, if the gasket is bad in one area, it can push oil into the cylinders when the oil pressure jumps up, without affecting antifreeze at all. Thats the only thing that I can really think of, considering how much oil its burning.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Launching!

sorta offtopic, but what did you have to modify to fit a maggy under the cowl?