Sponsored by:

Need some help, engine noise!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help, engine noise!

Hey guys,

I just got my car back from the repair shop after it being down from my accident since february 2nd.

I noticed a strange noise from the exhaust about 2 startups before it went to the shop, so maybe 2 months ago tops since it started. I would start the car and let warm up to full temp a few times a month, and it was about the second to last start up I noticed it.

It does not sound like knocking or ticking, there are no abnormal noises from the engine bay, only noise is heard through the exhaust, its hard to descibe but not normal, car otherwise sounds fine and mean as hell.

Me and a coworker who has heard it both think it may have been the old oil and fuel in it, so last night I drained most of the tank put fresh in and changed the fuel filter, then changed oil and filter.

The sound is still there, it has not run long since the fluid change or been on the street though. Now i'm thinking maybe its also the plugs, maybe fouled, they are old as hell and i've been waiting to do them till I swap cams, they could be factory plugs for all I know, car has 64K.

My dad also last night mentioned maybe the fuel got some varnish in the engine from sitting, the fuel was slightly discolored.....

It to my knowledge does not seem mechanical, so i'm not sure. Also while driving it home we noticed the shifter shakes under accleration, the rest of the car seems about normal, were hoping its alignment, as we know the car needs it bad.

Here is a sound clip of it while it was still in its wrecked state just before the noise became obvious:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...26016a37de.htm
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

You've got either bad valve guide seals or PCV issues that are making it smoke on startup. First take it through the driving cycle and let the PCM relearn as necessary. Shifter sake under acceleration is either a slight miss or maybe some driveshaft issues - not alignment. Take it slow, tackle one thing at a time and you'll be fine. Start by putting some miles on it so you can look at it in a "normal" state.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Oh, well that's not too bad as I have new valve stem seals ready to go on with my cam swap, makes since with the smoke on startup. I am just wondering bout this noise, I guess I need to just be patient and wait till its inspected and legally streetable and then just start driving it a bit then get my cam and parts on and let a tuner see if he can get it straightened out, like if there was a miss or something needed adjusted.

I did also just put a LS6 intake on it last night so it's on the stock tune with all the mods currently listed in my sig.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Well I scanned it today and it had 11 codes, most of them are similar for the deleted rear O2 sensors EGR and AIR systems but it did show 1 or 2 codes described as random/multiple misfire

Could this mean anything? I erased them all so we'll see if they come back, maybe it just threew them cuz of the accident or something, I just hope this sound is nothing to really worry about cuz i'm now broke....
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Launching!

No ideas? Could it be a plug wire isn't snapped fully on or a bad/fouled plug?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would check wires and plugs to start with
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Ok I got a video online I made yeaterday, now remember this sound started with nothing happening to the car, it never left the driveway and it went from the other video to soundling like this with only a few startups and rolling around in the drive way.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...9501624869.htm
Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Launching!

I just pulled a plug and it's a Denso, maybe original and has a slightly whitish/greyish color on the end along with plenty of black,the actual tip is a very small point, not sure how it's supposed to be but it looks very ate away.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Launching!

GOT IT!

It was the plugs afterall!

Damn glad to have that over with as I am hopefully only days away from my cam swap!

Car runs like crazy!