Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arp head and head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arp head and head studs?

Why do some choose to use the studs rather than the regular head/header bolts? I guess my question would be, what are the advantages to them?
Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: arp head and head studs?

the studs are re-usable
Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

ARP head bolts are reusuable as well.

The real reason to use studs over bolts is that you can achieve more even clamping force. When you are torquing a bolt you've got 3 things happening:
1. The bolt head is contacting the surface it's tightening against, generating friction.
2. The bolt threads are contacting the threads in the block generating more friction.
3. The bolt shank is twisting since the tightening force is being applied to one end and the threads are on the other end.

When you torque the bolt, your torque reading is designed to apply a certain stretching force to the bolt so that it stays in place and resists the combustion forces. To get the proper stretch to the bolt requires a torque force that overcomes the 3 resistant forces and leaves the bolt properly stretched.

With a stud, there isn't a twisting force on it since the threads that are generating friction are where the force is being applied. This allows the actual clamping force to be a little more exact since you've removed a variable. That's it. That is the only advantage to studs. Studs by themselves (assuming they are the same diameter as bolts) don't have any more ability to apply clamping force since the ability to apply clamping force is directly related to the diameter of the fastener.

I'll admit that I think studs look better than bolts ...

John Parsons
Old 05-28-2003, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

bone camaro

Your original question was a little unclear. Are you asking about head bolts vs studs? Or are you asking about header bolts vs studs? I answered the first question.

The answer to the second question is that having a stud in the side of the head can often make it easier to hang the header in place, assuming you can get the header far enough away from the head to slip over the studs ...

jp
Old 06-04-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was asking about both header and head studs vs. both head bolts and header bolts. I am sorry for the time it took to answer back but, I have been knee deep in fluid movement problems for the movement of air around and through obstacles to improve the properties of a thrown baseball or any ball actually. I am also working on the movement of bats and how to increase the efficiency of a swing. So I have just been really busy. THanks for your post though it really does help.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I chose Head studs because the toque is more even.After removing the stock bolts and cleaning the threads there is still tight spots that could throw off torque readings.Studs eliminate that and they are reussable which has come in handy since I keep switching Heads