Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need ls1 head info

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question need ls1 head info

LS!1 head . the rear manifold hole on the driverside head does the threaded bolt hole open up to the water jackets in the head???? need to know b4 i go raising hell to the shop who put my headers on. the drilled out a broken bolt and when i showed up early there was water running out the hole b4 he put on the headers. Now i have water pouring out the hole when the car warms up if not can this be fixed or time for a new head?? (care of the shop who mucked my car up) any info pls this hole into the water jacket sounds like a load of b/s to me
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

and if i go w/ new head and cam package how much of a risk am i taking w/ the bottom end? the car has 116,000 miles on it but i have always run mobil 1 5w/30 and have rarely been easy on it but its as quiet as it was w/ 10,000 miles on it.

any suggestions on a head cam package ? the car is a m6 i want a decent hit and as much HP as possible but still remain a daily driver and a decent price nothing outrageous

Last edited by ksk1980; 10-11-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ksk1980
LS!1 head . the rear manifold hole on the driverside head does the threaded bolt hole open up to the water jackets in the head???? need to know b4 i go raising hell to the shop who put my headers on. the drilled out a broken bolt and when i showed up early there was water running out the hole b4 he put on the headers. Now i have water pouring out the hole when the car warms up if not can this be fixed or time for a new head?? (care of the shop who mucked my car up) any info pls this hole into the water jacket sounds like a load of b/s to me
No, the manifold bolt holes go into the valley area of the block, you could maybe get some oil but not water.

It could be the water jacket though, there are fittings on the front and back of the heads on the intake side. The fitting goes to the water jacket, if they are loose or not installed you would get water from them. Will be very easy to fix.

Harold
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

and if i go w/ new head and cam package how much of a risk am i taking w/ the bottom end? the car has 116,000 miles on it but i have always run mobil 1 5w/30 and have rarely been easy on it but its as quiet as it was w/ 10,000 miles on it.

any suggestions on a head cam package ? the car is a m6 i want a decent hit and as much HP as possible but still remain a daily driver and a decent price nothing outrageous
You can go with a set of our stage II heads; we have put 450HP to the wheels with a very drivable cam. But with the miles you have, you will more than likely start blowing some smoke sooner or later.

The reason is the new heads and cam will make more power, more power means more cylinder pressure. The valve job will be brand new and seal perfectly. The rings however have 116,000 miles on them. Sooner or later you will start to blow some oil by, some motors due better than others.

I have heard of guys doing head and cam packages with high mileage cars and having no smoking issues.
But I would think it’s a matter of time, depending on how you drive the car. If you let it warm up, change your oil regularly etc and so on.

Harold
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

the exhaust manifold bolt goes into the head not the block and i am getting water out of the rear bolt hole nothing when its cold just when it hits 185 degrees it starts pouring out. the mechanic said hes had the same problem w/ silverado trucks when he puts headers on . He told this was the problem w/ this style head thats why the rear bolt on the driver side always corrodes and breaks. any truth to this? he suggested using a longer bolt or if that didnt fix it to drill it and put a heli-coil in it
Old 10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

are there any coolant crossover tubes on the back of the motor that could have been damaged ,cracked cause this thing is pouring water like pouring **** outta boot a steady stream once the car warms up and leaks worse at idle than w/ rpm's up .
i cant imagine that the hole would be leaking that bad w/ the bolt in it.

any help plz. im bout to go nuts worryin bout this ****. it seems like i fix 1 thing and 3 others screw up wtf.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is your car ? there is a coolant crossover but it would be almost behind the intake and way awya from where your problem seems to be . the only way to check out what happened is to take a look in the hole the manifold bolt goes in to see what was done .
if you can afford a little downtime and want to play it safe it might be a good idea to pull the head and take a good look .
Old 10-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Your mechanic is an idiot. He has obviously done something wrong before, and has repeated it with your car. Until you get this straightened out I would suggest you take caution with your engine, i.e. only start it and run it stationary in the driveway. The good news is that while it is leaking, you are assured that there is coolant flow. Top off at every opportunity.

Apologies, I simply do not have first hand knowledge of this kind of leak. However, RTV or Teflon sealant are the recommended solutions for a bolt that protrudes into the coolant passages. If this is the case here and if it will survive the heat conducted from the exhaust. If there is damage, then nothing will stop the flow.

Best of luck to you. Run the stock block with upgraded heads if you want to. If smoking becomes a problem, then you are ready for a ring and bottom end change, not before.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM

the exhaust manifold bolt goes into the head not the block and i am getting water out of the rear bolt hole nothing when its cold just when it hits 185 degrees it starts pouring out. the mechanic said hes had the same problem w/ silverado trucks when he puts headers on . He told this was the problem w/ this style head thats why the rear bolt on the driver side always corrodes and breaks. any truth to this? he suggested using a longer bolt or if that didnt fix it to drill it and put a heli-coil in it
No no, I understand that I'm just say if you look at the heads when there off the block the bolt holes from the manifold would end up in the valley area of the motor once reinstalled.

I know they don't go into the block. I'm sitting here looking at a set of heads trying to help you out.

If you have water coming frm an exhaust bolt hole then the hole was drill to deep from GM, or who ever installed your headers used a bolt that was to long and maybe broke through or when the head was drilled for the heli coil the drill broke into the water jacket.

The exhaust bolt holes are blind but you could break through to the water jacket. Clean up the threads on the header bolt and the head use some 565 loctite install the bolt, it should hold.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

supposedly he put some type of sealer that kept it from leaking but only lasted about 50 miles then it started gushing but really how in the hell could it be pouring out of the hole so badly w/ the bolt still in it. i mean its pouring out like the radiator does when u pull the drain plug. i cant see any water from above but when u look under the car a steady stream is flowing down the oil pan.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

i used a set of stage 8 locking header bolts and on the back hole he used a stud for some odd reason . do u think the locktite would hold up and if i used a longer bolt cause the stage 8 bolts were about 3/8 " shorter than the stock manifold bolts ,and i thought it didnt sound right when he said the bolt hole went into the water jacket. sounded like a complete line of **** to me but it did make sense about the bolts on these cars breaking in the same location he said that the water corroded the bolts whick caused them to break. i want this to be fixed right but not cost an arm and leg to fix it , cause sure as hell i go any distance from my house and my car will f#$k up do doubt its just my luck
Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Take a deep breath first, young Jedi. People are trying to help.

DO NOT GO FOR A DRIVE UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS SETTLED!!

i cant see any water from above but when u look under the car a steady stream is flowing down the oil pan.
This is important information. You have not identified exactly where the leak is coming from.

Having a set of heads removed from a vehicle can give a great deal of information and explanations.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

im driving it to the shop and carrying plenty of water but the shop is like 11 miles away at most and i drove it hopme lastnight about 45 miles b4 i knew it was leaking water. i smelt a funny smell to start off w/ but though it i was the high temp paint i put on the headers(which was a complete waste of time it lasted 30 seconds and started bubbling up and flaking off just on the tubes not the collector 4 some odd reason) but it started smoking under the hood when i stopped at a few light the i knew it was water right away by the smell. and if i remove the heads i sure aint puttin on the stock ones head and cam time if it comes to that . and how much am i lookin to pay for a head and cam swap and how much does a tune for a diablo programmer usually cost so i can atleat drive it to the shop down in N. Carolina for a dyno tune.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

and has any1 had any clearance issues w/ the pace setter LT's w/ ory my y pipe is beating the **** out of the bottom of the car under hard accelerations. it seems like the passenger side header hangs a lil bit lower than the driver side i han to cut and put a piece of thick rubber between the y pipe and underside of the car the clearance is hardly nothin

i love the sound of the headers but am starting to think i should have left well enough alone and kept the manifolds broken bolt and all at least it didnt have an exhaust leak and my head wont leaking water

Nothing truer than if it aint broke dont fix it seems like i learned the hard way

Quick Reply: need ls1 head info