Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a backwards headgasket.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default I think I have a backwards headgasket.

I know I flipped the passenger side gasket to see what it covered up when it was backwards, but now Im not so sure I flipped it back the right way. Im using the GM MLS gaskets, I noticed they have a 5.7 tag hanging out of the bottom side of the head. My reason for thinking one is backwards is that the tag for the passenger and driver side are both at the front half of the motor. Does anyone have a pic of these gaskets or know if my passenger side is backwards? They both read 5.7 correctly on the tag.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set and just checked them, the tag will be towards the front on both sides. Are they on already? I can take a photo if you will put your mind at ease.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks man. I just have a feeling its not flowing coolant. The funny thing is I dont have my tempsensor hooked up yet because Im still waiting for it. The waterpump leaked upon initially starting it, but not much and stopped over night. When I take it on trips and shut it down it keeps the low fan on for a while, eventhough Im running the fans manually most of the trip. But I do feel better about the head gaskets. Thanks.

Quick Reply: I think I have a backwards headgasket.