Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket thickness and timing question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gasket thickness and timing question.

I currently run a stock thickness MLS gasket with the mods in my sig. The absolute MAX timing I seem to be able to run at WOT is 23-24* without major KR issues.

Would running an .040 Cometic gasket and tightening up my quench allow me to run more timing safely? (28-30*?) And if so, how much of a power increase are we talking about?

After reading thread after thread about quench, I really think this may be a worthwhile modification for my setup, but if it only means a few HP/TQ, I would call it "Cost Prohibitive". If its more like 15 -20HP and nearly as much TQ, I'll be purchasing some new gaskets this week.

I just want to get some input before taking the time and spending the $$$ to get this done.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

the more you tighten piston to head clearance the more timing you can put in +the more fuel duty cycle you can pull out after the torque peak too,so the engine will rev faster to redline,there will be improvments in part throttle efficiency too once you dial optimum spark +fuel for your specific engine needs.
caution needed,observe knock + throttling dont pedal to the metal at full loads for prolonged durations untill your confident it wont run lean + knock is non evident.
you can run more total timing if the rate of advance is slower + fuel burn is controlled.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this is a stock shortblock? Going to a .040 certainly wouldn't hurt (unless you have PTV issues) but don't expect to gain that much just from the compression bump. However, it may work out that you are able to run a bit more timing, which could net some decent benefits. It basically just comes down to the tune. You may or may not be able to gain more timing, depending on what your heads like or dislike. For the money it will cost for .040 gaskets plus the time it'll take to swap them, you have to decide if it may be worth it. If you want an extremely personal opinion, not knowing the outlook your tuner has on the timing situation, I would be leaning more toward cost prohibitive and just wait until you have an actual reason to have the heads off to make the swap.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

It is definitely a stock shortblock.

I don't think PTV will be an issue because I've actually had a much higher duration cam in the car before the one I have now and didn't have any issues there. So I'm thinking that since duration tends to be more of a factor than lift with PTV, it should be OK withs .015-.017 less clearance.

I also do all my own tuning, and that is why I wanted to post up and get some additional input before I took the time to mess with it. I very much want a car that can get to the mid 11's all motor and I'm only a few tenths away. I guess what I really wnat right now is to get the most possible out of the parts I've already invested in without needing to go FI or Nitrous.

I thought this may be a good way of gaining a tenth or two without spending a ton of money. The labor is no problem as I've done a half dozen head swaps between my car, the wife's car and a couple of buddies cars in the last year, I have that down to a science and could probably get them done in 4 or 5 hours taking my time....maybe less. HAHA.

Thanks for the responses.

Eric
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the bottom line is, don't expect much. Go into it knowing you are doing it for peace of mind of better quench even if it nets no benefits. If there are some decent gains, that's even better.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Any other input?