Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking... Lifter?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Ticking... Lifter?????

I'll try and make this as short as possible...

Car = 1999 WS.6 with 118k miles

Basically stock with the exception of Lid, K&N, SLP LM CB....

1 Month ago - Bent 3 pushrods (most probably due to over-rev)

Replaced pushrods with stockers from a Z06 Vette...

Have been driving the car for about a month... lately been noticing this tick/clanking noise that seemed to be getting progressively worse...

Last week, had the car at a shop scheduled to get a new Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, and LT's with ORY installed. We were doing many Dyno pulls before and after the parts install... total of 8 the whole day, however we never got to installing the LT's and ORY because my car started shuddering and shaking very bad as we started it up to pull it up on the lift for the LT and ORY install...

now... when I first brought the car in, we heard the noise, but alas continued with the install anyways... like i said we did about 8 dyno pulls... all went well, but noticed some detination at the top end around the 5.5 rpm range and the noise seemed to really stand out at that point...

the car dynoed at 301/328 stock before we did any mods... (just in case you were curious)

the car is over at CMS right now, Ryne over there belives it might be a lifter... i can't argue as i've always had a gut feeling of the same thing... However the problem seems to be totally random. He said after he towed the car to his shop, and started it up, the shuddering and shaking went away... almost as if a bad lifter or something started acting up once the car was ran hard (like on a Dyno all day)... maybe the heating of the oil making the lifter collapse???? make any since...?

what do you guys think?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Ryne and he said that they found the #7 pushrod bent again... said it's most probably a lifter now that this happened again...

here is a pic of the one bent about a month ago (the worst of 3)... also the #7

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

any other opinions?

wish i had the money for a head/cam swap right about now
Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem where kept on breaking pushrods on no. 6... turned out to be a lifter - found out once I was doing my head/cam install. Check it out -

Wasnt until now that I swapped out my heads/cam I saw all the damage the pushrod did... check these out

1. Broken pushrod

2. Broken lifter guide

3. Hollowed out the lifter
Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dmitriy
I had the same problem where kept on breaking pushrods on no. 6... turned out to be a lifter - found out once I was doing my head/cam install. Check it out -

Wasnt until now that I swapped out my heads/cam I saw all the damage the pushrod did... check these out

1. Broken pushrod

2. Broken lifter guide

wow! Got any hi-res of those? and I take it after you replaced all that, all is well? any damage to the stock head?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
wow! Got any hi-res of those? and I take it after you replaced all that, all is well? any damage to the stock head?
Sorry no hi-res took those with my cell phone

All is great now that I replaced all the stuff... I put in new ls7 style lifters I picked up from texas speed and chromeoly pushrods from them as well. My stock head had a small gash in the pushrod guide - I replaced the heads as well with ported/milled 5.3s

If you need some stock lifters/pushrods I got some lying around for a rainy day, so I can spare some... Only cause I spent 25 bucks at a dealership just for a new pushrod which ended up breaking due to the lifter issue... what a waste that was
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks so much for all the info... I'll keep the lifters and pushrods in mind... I gotta talk to Ryne @ CMS and continue to get updated to know what all i wanna do....
Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

great....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=20
Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I think that might depend on how bad the lifter was damaged, my lifter looked the same as all the others on the part that makes contact with the cam. In your case, the pushrod was just bent and didnt snap like my 2 push rods did and left nice small pieces of metal pounding my lifter...

I may be wrong but I would think the cam would be ok if the bottom side of the lifter isnt messed up.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully the cam is ok
Old 10-27-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I think that might depend on how bad the lifter was damaged, my lifter looked the same as all the others on the part that makes contact with the cam. In your case, the pushrod was just bent and didnt snap like my 2 push rods did and left nice small pieces of metal pounding my lifter...

I may be wrong but I would think the cam would be ok if the bottom side of the lifter isnt messed up.
good to hear... Ryne said he pulled the heads... forgot to ask him what state the lifters were in... maybe I can get him to take some pics... I'm in AZ and my car is in his shop in CA so.... otherwise i'd be over there like everyday
Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

looks like i'm probably gonna go ahead and get a cam outa this to then... and springs, and ls2 timing chain it never ends...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

thats how mine all started lol

and this and that then this...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

he recommended a comp 224/228 114+2... eventually I plan on throwing some AFR 205's on there.........

wonder what kinda HP i'll be putting down now?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:24 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy smokes, thats a first, never saw that happen