Sponsored by:

LS1 1.8 roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 1.8 roller rockers

Hey,

Gonna pick up some 1.8 roller rockers from ebay, the aluminum ones that can be found for about $300. Any ideas on those?
My car is a daily driver (look at signature) and just wanted to add a quick direct bolt on 15hp.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I am going to say, is do some research before buying anything.

I have no clue what brand they are.

Also that most cams, if you decide to upgrade do not want you running the 1.8's, they are ground with a 1.7 rocker in mind.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be very leery of those rockers, if you are going to do this buy some that will provide some life and are designed to provide more power. The Cranes are probably the best out there for this. However, with either you also need new valve springs, the stock springs won't keep up with the new acceleration rates of the higher lift rockers.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:22 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would be very leery of those rockers, if you are going to do this buy some that will provide some life and are designed to provide more power. The Cranes are probably the best out there for this. However, with either you also need new valve springs, the stock springs won't keep up with the new acceleration rates of the higher lift rockers.
great answer vette.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

yea, ur are probably right. For a diff of ~$100, might as well buy the ones have been around and have a good reputation.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Be careful with any of these, including the Cranes. For starters, you will be asking more out of your valve train so a new set of valve springs is in order. The Cranes require shorter pushrods, guide plates and studs. They make a kit that includes all of the parts (except the valve springs) but its not $100 more. They also make a kit that is simply rockers and poly-locks. That is about $100 more. In either case, make sure you understand what supporting components are required for successful installation. It will allow you to plan better and not be disappointed with the parts.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

crane cams LS1 1.8 quick lift rocker arm kit= #144759-16
this is a complete kit, which includes everything that you need besides valve springs. I recommend dual springs, either there #144832 or #144833-16 springs. They will also require there spring locators #144460-16 and new gm seals for there direct bolt in replacement.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Look at the Yella Terra #6646s. They 1.8s that don't require guides, studs, or different push rods, although I'd stick in new push rods anyway. The 6646s are brand new and they drop in, no grinding like with the Cranes. New Era Performance has them on sale.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Crane's don't require grinding. If you correctly set up the Yella Terra's, you will be buying new longer pushrods. Add the pushrods to the price of the rockers, you are just about to Vinci's price for the Crane kit so its almost a wash at that point.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Last C5
Look at the Yella Terra #6646s. They 1.8s that don't require guides, studs, or different push rods, although I'd stick in new push rods anyway. The 6646s are brand new and they drop in, no grinding like with the Cranes. New Era Performance has them on sale.
no grinding, unless it's an AFR head. The crane rockers work, and make power. they are salty in price, but they work.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The easiest 1.8 to drop in are the SLP 1.85 (same design as stock but with stronger trunions).
Also a set of LS6/LS2 springs are in order to keep up with the lift.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SLP 1.85 WAY overpriced imo
go with crane's,
new scorpion rockers look like worth looking into
Old 11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some 1.75 pro magnums for sale
PM me if your interested
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Crane's don't require grinding. If you correctly set up the Yella Terra's, you will be buying new longer pushrods. Add the pushrods to the price of the rockers, you are just about to Vinci's price for the Crane kit so its almost a wash at that point.
They're going in an 01 Z06 and I plan on replacing the push rods anyway. What length are you suggesting. These are the new lightweight Yellas.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

The last set of Yella Terra's I installed on stock heads required the supplied shims to get the wipe pattern correct. Several have found the same thing. Most guys not running the shims also didn't check the wipe pattern. If you are going with the higher ratio, depending on how they achieve the new ratio the need for shims can vary (most manufacturers move the pushrod cup closer to the rocker fulcrum to get the higher ratio). When I set up the stock heads and shims, we used a 7.500" pushrod. However, best bet is to buy the adjustable pushrod and measure as pushrods are very critical as is the wipe pattern. These two little things can make or break how the car performs.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If they are non adjustable, first correct geometry (wipe pattern), then correct preload
Old 11-25-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

The last set of Yella Terra's I installed on stock heads required the supplied shims to get the wipe pattern correct. Several have found the same thing. Most guys not running the shims also didn't check the wipe pattern. If you are going with the higher ratio, depending on how they achieve the new ratio the need for shims can vary (most manufacturers move the pushrod cup closer to the rocker fulcrum to get the higher ratio). When I set up the stock heads and shims, we used a 7.500" pushrod. However, best bet is to buy the adjustable pushrod and measure as pushrods are very critical as is the wipe pattern. These two little things can make or break how the car performs.
Thanks, we'll get an adjustable push rod and check it out at length before we button it up. I am going with the 1.8s so the geometry will change.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

As stated above, get your wipe correct first then measure for the pushrod length. I used checking springs to check the wipe pattern. Very easy to do and will ensure good geometry and minimum valve guide wear.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

As stated above, get your wipe correct first then measure for the pushrod length. I used checking springs to check the wipe pattern. Very easy to do and will ensure good geometry and minimum valve guide wear.
Now I'm a little confused. I thought the length of the push rod was what determined swipe (along with correct installed height for the springs and having the rockers shimmed to correctly take about 180 deg of tightening before they hit the 22 lbs) I know what checking springs are so how are you setting swipe before checking/selecting the push rod length?

AHA! I think you answered my question with a post you made on another thread. The process of shimming will determine the swipe and then you just get push rods to match the end result of the shimming.

Last edited by Last C5; 11-25-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

I must have gotten real lucky. I checked wipe without the shims and it was perfect. I used 7.425" pushrods based on the smaller base circle cam and bolted it up. (I used the 6645 light weight YT's 1.7 ratio) I have NO valvetrain noise!

Quick Reply: LS1 1.8 roller rockers