Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here with some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with some questions....

Hi, first time poster, long time troller. Couple easy questions for ya. I have a 136k mile LS1 that is going to go in my '69 Corvette Convertible. The engine ran solid before being removed, there are a couple of leaks that I need to take care of......whatever. Ok, so here I have this Corvette that has an LS1 and I want to run old style Hooker Headers side exhaust. I want it to sound mean and perform just as it sounds. I am looking to get a cam first, and the may be later get a lid, and a couple other bolt ons. So, from the reading that I have done you need to ask yourself how you intend to drive your car. This is going to be a "show car" only brought out for cruises, shows, and a weekend driver. But on the way there I want to turn heads. From talking to a couple of people that know little about it, I don't want to just jump into this knee deep. I want to be making constant power without worrying about breaking something that could have been prevented. What I am getting at, what do I need to finish a "cam only" setup. And what cam would you recommend? I have heard good things from a 224/228 cam, but don't know if my high mileage engine will handle it. For a cam like that, would I need to replace spring, and lifters, and everything? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

im no expert on the matter but i am lookin into a cam setup for myself and from what i have learned so far it is a good idea to upgrade your valvetrain when goin with a bigger cam no matter what mileage you are...im sure someone will post up with more info on the matter...you would most likely be fine with your stock rockers but you would def. want to look into lifters, springs, and pushrods...just my .02 gl

Last edited by 02T/A-WS6; 01-13-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That cam sound fine just get new springs and rods to go with it, I looked for a while befor getting my cam TR 224/224 114 lsa it was recomended because I said It was basicly a daily drive and take it to the track on the weekends, so thats what I got and that cam almost put me in the 11's so not bad for a smaller cam.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

The stock valve springs barely handle the stock cam. Your lifters will be ok, but better bet to replace them with something better. Don't change the stock rockers, they're just fine. Do some searches on lifters, valvesprings, pushrods, and rocker arms. That'll give you an idea of what you might want to change or leave stock. In the end, I think you'll find that a head cam setup from one of the sponsors to the right will do you exceptionally well for what you want, so after doing some research on what you might want, do some searches on head/cam packages.