Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noise after cam swap

did a search and nothing really came up with what i have going on. just did a ms3 cam,pushrods and dual springs in my 02 z. everything went together very well no problems at all. well i buttoned it all up to night and did the first start with cam. pretty much started right up with great oil pressure. well i get out of the car to check for leaks and i can hear this noise that sounds like vavle train noise or something to that effect. as its running i use a screwdriver as a probe to listen for noise. well the noise sounds more like something in the front like timing chain but not real sure. i pulled the pass side valve cover first since it would be a lot easier to check and see and it looks ok going to pull the other side vavle cover tommorow and check in there. like i said i took my time and made sure everything was tourqed down to spec. the only real idea i have is maybe dead lifter but not sure. anybody have any ideas
Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may just be the normal sound after any cam swap with stiff springs.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

It should make a sewing machine noise, its the springs.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Initially after startup you can expect some valve clatter, but that should gradually go away as the engine warms up(lifters pump up) and everything get fully lubricated. If after a few minutes it still sound like a sewing machine I'd be concerned about it. Is your preload set correctly?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

preload on the rockers? i have talked to a few guys and they say the dual springs do make a lot of noise but man it just seems like a lot to me but then again this is my first pushrod car so i have nothing to base it off of.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

it is normal. i have gone through two cam swaps with two different sets of springs and the same thing occurs. my brothers car too. we asked around, and we were told that it is a normal thing. Personally i hate it, but have gotten use to it. last cam has been on since june of 06'. i think its time to change again!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 224 cam just put on heads dual springs and it sounded the same as it did befor with just a cam and single springs.
did you do the proper sequence when you did the rockers? I cant rember it all but go top dead on #1 and tighten some down then rotate and do some somthing like that I know its not right how I typed that but its somthing like that. And did you lock tight them?
And if they are new rods maby you got the wrong ones ? just some thoughts .