Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve springs after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve springs after cam swap

OK, I am thinking of doing a cam swap in my LS1. Looking around but not sure which cam yet. I am thinking of doing the cam swap myself but not sure about doing the valve springs. They kinda make me nervous with some of them being under the cowl area. My question is can you run lets say a 580's lift cam on the stock valve springs, keeping the rpms low, just enough to get it to a shop about 10 miles away? I would be fine swaping the cam, but like I said, something about the springs I'm just not so sure of. If I cannot then I will probably just let a shop do it all. Thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you can do the cam you can easily do the springs. I mean you are already going to have to pull the valve covers, rocker arms, and pushrods off anyway so you might as well just suck it up and swap the springs while youre there.

But yeah you should be able to limp it to the shop, just be easy on it.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Ya dude.. its a lot easier than it looks. I was nervous at first and i just grew a pair and got it done. ls1howto.com is your friend.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not recommend running stock springs on a cam with that lift. I would rather have the piece of mind know I have upgraded my valve train to accomodate the cam. There can be way too many problems that could be avoided by just upgrading the valve train. You will also want hardened pushrods and depending on miles of ur car? an ls6 ported oil pump is always nice to add while ur there. Another part to look into is either a double roller timing set, or you could get away with just installing an ls2 timing chain. The springs are very easy to swap out you will just need a spring tool which i purchased from a member on here for a great price and if interested i can pm you the link. The tool is designed specifically for the fitment issues under the cowl to make it easier. Ive seen a few threads lately with single valve springs breaking and causing enough amount of damage you may want to consider dual springs but dont quote me on that, some other guys im sure will pitch in to answer your questions.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Stock springs are barely enough for the stock cam with around .500 lift. Not a good idea. It's not too hard to do it yourself.