Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 questions - Or maybe another cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MS4 questions - Or maybe another cam?

Can you do the MS4 cam with say the stage 2.5 5.3l heads without flycutting the pistons? I couldnt find it in search, so Im asking here... Im looking at doing those heads from Texas Speed with the MS4 cam... I want an awesome track car that will make some good power... In put on cam choice would be cool too!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe it was Jon at Texas Speed that I have been talking to about that question. He said to go with the MS3 for the Stage 2.5 5.3 heads. If you want to use the MS4, he suggested the LS6 Stage 1 heads, which I believe flows SLIGHTLY better if I'm not mistaken. You should look him up and ask him any questions, he is VERY helpful to talk to.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it will not clear. I've got that combo and it's not even close. I ended up going with Diamond forged pistons with -2cc reliefs. You've got to be willing to cut about .100 for both the exhaust and intake valves to run the MS4 with those heads milled @ 59cc. And those heads WILL net you better numbers than the LS6 stg 1's. The added compression helps more than you might think.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
No, it will not clear. I've got that combo and it's not even close. I ended up going with Diamond forged pistons with -2cc reliefs. You've got to be willing to cut about .100 for both the exhaust and intake valves to run the MS4 with those heads milled @ 59cc. And those heads WILL net you better numbers than the LS6 stg 1's. The added compression helps more than you might think.
Would I be better off doing an MS3 then? I have been thinking, and I dont want a dyno queen, but a good track car with some nice numbers. As long as it runs a good 1/4 time Im ok with that... What do most ms3 cars put down with those heads I wonder?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Well the thing with the MS3, not sure about the MS4 is if you want good track numbers you need gears to compliment the cam. In my car the MS3 isn't so fantastic in the lower rpms, such as off the line or a slow roll. But a high roll and the car moves out quick. My opinion is call up TSP tell them what you want out of your car, and whether you daily drive it stuff like that. They will recommend you a cam, and you can ask them what heads will work good with them.
-Joel
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Well the thing with the MS3, not sure about the MS4 is if you want good track numbers you need gears to compliment the cam. In my car the MS3 isn't so fantastic in the lower rpms, such as off the line or a slow roll. But a high roll and the car moves out quick. My opinion is call up TSP tell them what you want out of your car, and whether you daily drive it stuff like that. They will recommend you a cam, and you can ask them what heads will work good with them.
-Joel
Im going to call in the morning...Is yours an m6 or a4?

Thanks a million guys!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
Can you do the MS4 cam with say the stage 2.5 5.3l heads without flycutting the pistons? I couldnt find it in search, so Im asking here... Im looking at doing those heads from Texas Speed with the MS4 cam... I want an awesome track car that will make some good power... In put on cam choice would be cool too!

no.. i am going with those heads though.. good price for good heads.. just flycut the pistons.. its only like 400 or so..

but... call texas speed and talk to john.. he will get you set up man.

ms4 is going to dyno high.. and run good times.. dyno wise.. cam only your looking at upwards of 400 and time wise your looking at 7.6s in the 1/8... i dont know what you will be seing with those heads, or any heads.. but thats cam only of course w/ supporting mods..
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
Would I be better off doing an MS3 then? I have been thinking, and I dont want a dyno queen, but a good track car with some nice numbers. As long as it runs a good 1/4 time Im ok with that... What do most ms3 cars put down with those heads I wonder?
Calling them is a good idea. They are very knowledgeable over there. To answer your question though, the MS3 is a good cam as well. It WILL clear with the 2.5's, but only if you do not have them milled, which I would suggest doing for reasons stated in my previous post- compression and a tighter quench. This will net you around 15-20 more hp just by upping your compression and if you decide to spray, nitrous LOVES compression. Also, the tighter quench will help ward off detonation. As far as which one will make the most power, to be honest, the MS3/2.5 combo will make about just as much as the MS4/LS6 Stg 1 combo. Good thing is that you won't have to flycut with either of those setups as long as you leave the heads stock height. But if you don't mind cutting, MS4/Milled 2.5's is absolutely the way to go!!