Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions regarding a Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions regarding a Cam upgrade

Ok here's my plan. I have an 00' WS6 and it's my daily driver. It's an A4 with some intake upgrades and header back exhaust. I am almost certain I have a defective lifter or a defective cam causing some valve train noise. So I'm planning on taking a few days to do some much needed/wanted upgrades. Here's my plan. I want to upgrade to a TR 224 112 lsa cam,I want to either leave stock or upgrade to 1.8 Rocker Arms, I recently replaced my pushrods with some comp cam chromoly 7.4" (Will I need shorter or longer/keep the 7.4"?), LS6 Springs, High Volume Oil Pump, New Adjustable timing chain, new hydraulic lifters and finish it off with a tune. My real question has to deal with the valve train. Can I get away with stock roller rockers and my 7.4" pr's? Or do I need shorter pr's? I would like to do this right while keeping it as cheap as possible. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Could I get away with a stock tune? And could I get away with a stock ls1 intake? I want a little bit more of a lope and a bit more power. Not much though. Want to keep decent gas mileage too. I'm not looking for a 400 rwhp monster or anything. Just something with a little better sound and a noticeable amount of power gain. Thanks guys. You've always helped me out and I appreciate it. Take care.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

i run 7.4 pr's with my big 233/239 600 lift cam so i think your fine there. I still have my stock ls1 manifold and im in the 11.50's cam only so i think your fine with that, umm idk if you can go 1.8 i dont know the lift on a 224, but i really dont see why not im sure its in the .560 someware. To be honest it might be easier to go with the 228 cam on a 113 or 114 if you want a little lump but not like a choppy idle and a bigger lift instead of new rockers... would be chaper too. With that saved money you can get double springs or springs to .600 lift atleast. I would also really suggest getting headers, and possibly not tuning untill after them because they can throw off your tune if you remove the egr and air and obviously rear 02's. So id say keep the intake, do a bigger lift cam so you dont need the rockers, and with the money save up for .600 lift springs and headers, and then your probably gunna need a tune.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Do not use ls6 springs with a aftermarket cam. Could ruin the whole engine spend a little cash and do it right. Springs at least to .600 lift is a must no way around it.

If you dont have headers theres no point in getting a cam

I would also highly recommend getting a LS6 intake as the ls1 will choke your cam out. But again you need headers or the intake doesnt really matter

The 224 cam is a great i'd say almost perfect street cam. But you need supporting parts. To make it work

The most important thing is if you get a cam you must tune the car properly no way around it case closed.

Take some time and read up on the subject and ask the same question in 1 week.

Best of luck
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, take care of your bolt ons first and then do the cam because if you get the cam and put it in, change all that valvetrain and tune it, the car is not going to make much more power.
throw on some headers and finish rest of bolt ons like a ported tb, intake manifold and the car will wake up a ton, especially up top and then do the cam and you will have a beast that will not need tuning twice and the combination of everything will net you a ton of power.