Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing rockers, is there a special procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing rockers, is there a special procedure?

I know this has probably been beat to death, but I am replacing my rockers with PRW 1.7 rockers (got them cheap) along with new lifters and pushrods basically due to noise in the valvetrain. do i need to do it in a certain sequence, or do i just unbolt them and torque the new ones to proper specs (22 lb. ft. I think)? Ive never done it, but i want to do it myself. any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boycottwal-mart
I know this has probably been beat to death, but I am replacing my rockers with PRW 1.7 rockers (got them cheap) along with new lifters and pushrods basically due to noise in the valvetrain. do i need to do it in a certain sequence, or do i just unbolt them and torque the new ones to proper specs (22 lb. ft. I think)? Ive never done it, but i want to do it myself. any help is appreciated.
Well if you are doing lifters there is ALOT more to it. The heads have to come off, so I would be more worried about knowing how the TTY head bolts work, etc. Read on ls1howto about it
Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just make sure your lifters are on the base circle of the cam when you torque the rockers, or you'll break rockers bolts. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As stated above if you are replacing the lifters you have a much more complex install. Don't worry though it's pretty self explanatory except for the torque specs. For the lifter's you will need to remove the heads which is not too bad of a project and since your removing the heads you obviously already have the rocker's removed as well. Just find the torque specs and put everything back in reverse order.

What will suck is after removing the heads you will need to clean the block VERY well and you will also need a couple of head gaskets now. Look on ls1howto.com for step by step instructions and good luck to you!!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Launching!

also get new head bolts, as they are torque to yeild
Old 05-24-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, the PRWs are fully adjustable rockers with guide plates and studs. If that's the case, the installation is a little more involved then just bolting them in.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Correct me if I am wrong, the PRWs are fully adjustable rockers with guide plates and studs. If that's the case, the installation is a little more involved then just bolting them in.

i really dont know, i'll have to look into that. i just bought them off this guy i kinda know.

if the pushrods are bent, how hard is it to just change those?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boycottwal-mart
i really dont know, i'll have to look into that. i just bought them off this guy i kinda know.

if the pushrods are bent, how hard is it to just change those?
Changing the pushrods are not real hard.
Remove coil packs.
Start by unbolting your valve covers and removing them. 99+ models use 4 8mm center bolts on each cover. 98 models use perimeter bolts around the edge of the cover. On the drivers side you'll need a flathead screwdriver to pry up the PCV line out of the back, and on the psg side you will need to slide off the 2 rubber PCV hoses from the valve cover (the front one may still be attached to your throttle body). On an LS6 these may be configured differently (the PCV plugs into the engine valley cover instead on an LS6).

Once both are removed you'll see your valvetrain. There are 8 rockers on each side, and each is held in by an 8mm bolt through the center of the rocker. Get a cardboard box and remove all 16 rockers, and its generally good practice to keep all the rockers in order (keep them organized in the box so you know which side and what order they came off in). Make sure you get a SOLID grip with the socket on the bolt as you don't want to round the bolt off. It'll take some force to break the bolts free. Once they are removed, grab the long metal rocker pedestal on each side and store it with the rockers. Then reach in with your fingers and remove all 16 pushrods. They just pull out.

Insert all 16 pushrods (7.400" is probably needed unless you have highly milled heads or a small cam, in which 7.350" might be needed), place pedestal back on the head, apply locktite to all the rocker center bolts and reinstall all the rockers. Torque the rockers to 22lbft.
Now, using your 24mm socket wrench, turn the motor over by hand (should be difficult as you are now building compression) and make sure the motor turns over by hand a full 720 degrees, then turn it another 360 (doesnt have to be exact or anything).

Go over all the rockers again with your wrench just to make sure they are all at 22-24'ish lbft.

Install valve covers and coils.

See it is not hard at all.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

If #1 cylinder is at TDC (comp stroke) tighten Exhuast rockers 1,2,7,8-- Intakes 1,3,4,5
rotate crank 360 degrees then Exhaust 3,4,5,6 Intakes 2,6,7,8 this insures the lifter is on the basecircle of the cam and allows ease of trq'ing rockers. Hopefully it's pushrods a nice easy fix!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to post the procedure for stock rockers, here it is from the manual.