Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange changes in car, Anyone have any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default strange changes in car, Anyone have any Ideas?

Last fall when I put the car away in Oct it was running great. Over the winter Mice moved into the car and made a mess, and took over the HVAC system as a home. In April I go to put the car on the road and find them, so the car goes directly to the dealer and they clean out the HVAC and replace the blower fan. I only drive the car home before I have to put it up on jackstands as I sold the 12bolt rear. The 9in rear takes 2 months longer than they said so the car hits the road in June.
Now I have a Idle that hangs at 1800 rpm when moving, but drops to normal when sitting still for 20 sec or so. And I get a cloud of blue smoke out the exh when starting the car when cold, but not hot. I just had the exhaust replaced from the headers to the tips with all new parts. The car seems to have not lost any power, uses no oil as far as I can see and highway mileage is fine, but city sucks with the high idle.
I spoke to the tuner and He thinks its a vac issue, because it did not do this before and the tune has not changed. I have looked for a vac leak but found none, but have not pulled the intake off yet.
Would a vac issue cause the blue smoke?
where are areas for a vac leak?
Are there any other Ideas on what could be the problem?

thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idle may be vehicle speed sensor or the wire itself. Blue smoke on cold start up usually means valve seals and maybe guides too.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mice love to chew things - especially wiring and hoses - check out all the underhood hoses and you'll probably find either a chewed one or a dry rotted one. Also, with all the work on the AC system, the tech may have left off a vacuum line in the system causing a leak.

Bird