Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use Texas Speed & Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Texas Speed & Performance?

I spoke with John yesterday from TSP and I'm looking at doing a H/C combo on my car from them and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the company as well as their products. Their H/C Packages seem very reasonable and I would like to keep the cost down to several G's.

I'm thinking of going with this:

PRC Stage 1.0 LS6 CNC Ported Heads have them milled to 59cc's,
224R Cam with 114 LCA (for a sleeper effect), and then using the PRC Double Spring Kit.

Any Input? Is there a major difference with going with the PRC Stage 1.0 LS6 CNC Ported Heads vs. the PRC 220cc 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads?

Would it be worth it (Horsepower per Dollar) to just try and buy a set of AFR 205 Heads???

If anyone has this setup or similiar using TSP's Products, please post up what the combos did for you.

*Background on my car: 2002 C5 with AR 1 3/4'' Headers, AR X-Pipe w/Random Technology Cats, Z06 Ti cat backs, Ported Throttlebody, Calloway Honker CAI, 3.42 Gears, 180* Thermostat, and a few other odds and ends. The car is currently making 351/364 to the tires tuned by Greg Lovell @ Antivenom using a Dynojet.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

also wondering about the same heads as you.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

You will of course make more power using AFR heads. Will it be 50hp more? No, but it will be a lot more usable HP under the curve. But that combo of the LS6 heads and 224 cam will put you just over 400rwhp.

And to answer your first question - lots of people use TSP. I have many times and have only good things to say. I've called them about products I haven't purchased from them to get some of my questions answered.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP is a good shop! i have never used them, but i keep seeing nothing but positive things on there sponsor feedback.

im looking at there 5.3 heads later on!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Awsome company I use them for all my stuff. They are so helpful I always call them up with stuiped questions and they always take the time to help.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy has 228r and prc2.5 ls6 heads and got 439hp
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

TSP is an awesome company!!! I have bought 99.9% of my mod from them. They will always be willing to help with your ?s. And they deliver one hell of a product. I have a cam only car with all my bolt ons and cam from them and I LOVE the way the car drives.
I know that there are others out their but I will always take my business to Texas Speed and Performance. They have always done me right. Nice people and always looking out for YOU. They are not trying to do anything but make you happy. TSP FTMFW!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Supposedly PRC just revised the Stage 2.5 5.3 heads. I'll let you know how they do with me in about a week/next weekendish or so because I have a set of the new ones. Have my fingers crossed. Although it's with a MS3 and not a 224.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot guys for all of the replies. If anyone else has any more input, please post up. As for now, I think I'm sold on them.

I just need to figure out if the Stage 1 LS6 Head or the Stage 2.5 5.3 Heads, or maybe looking at thier PRC 200cc Terminator Series Cylinder Heads are the way to go.

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
Supposedly PRC just revised the Stage 2.5 5.3 heads. I'll let you know how they do with me in about a week/next weekendish or so because I have a set of the new ones. Have my fingers crossed. Although it's with a MS3 and not a 224.
Please let me know on this thread if you don't mind!!!! I'm going to be ordering everything in about a week and a half when all of my research is finished. I want to make sure I pick the right cam for my car the first time around. I may want one of the MS Cams after we see what it does on your car.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

What are your goals for the car later on? If you're looking to get some type of forced induction someday, then I'd say go for the AFR's or PRC LS6 heads to keep the stock compression ratio.

If you aren't looking to boost later (keeping it N/A or spraying), then don't count out the PRC 5.3 heads. They'll raise your compression a bit, so that's always a bonus.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've used then a few times. Good company, good products, most of all customer service.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mass Hysteria
Thanks a lot guys for all of the replies. If anyone else has any more input, please post up. As for now, I think I'm sold on them.

I just need to figure out if the Stage 1 LS6 Head or the Stage 2.5 5.3 Heads, or maybe looking at thier PRC 200cc Terminator Series Cylinder Heads are the way to go.

Please let me know on this thread if you don't mind!!!! I'm going to be ordering everything in about a week and a half when all of my research is finished. I want to make sure I pick the right cam for my car the first time around. I may want one of the MS Cams after we see what it does on your car.

I just installed my new version 2.5 heads on my build with a 226/232 cam, car is at the dyno right now and should be done tomorrow. Ill post up and let you know.

As for TSP they were great to deal with, both Jon and Jason. You wont find a better bang for teh buck cylinder head than the PRCs. Ofcourse AFRs or Trickflows would make more power but they also cost over 2x as much. Its just about what your goals are. A 224R with the stage 1 LS6 heads and a good tune with longtubes and an LS6 intake should be in the 410-420rwhp on an Fbody...maybe a little lower on a vette due to IRS im not sure. Give em a try!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have their prc stg 2.5 5.3 heads with cam in sig, Made some pretty good numbers for a combo that all together cost 2000 dollars shipped!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
What are your goals for the car later on? If you aren't looking to boost later (keeping it N/A or spraying), then don't count out the PRC 5.3 heads. They'll raise your compression a bit, so that's always a bonus.
What I want is just a little more power than what I've got now without sacrificing all around streetability. My other car was a 750 Cobra, yes it was streetable, but would I take it on long trips? Hell NO!!! When I say Streetability I mean, that I want jump in my car fire it off quickly, and cruise from Tampa to Miami or go down to the Keys without any issues or worries, I want to go out to a 5 Star Restaraunt without looking like a hillbilly, and shock the crap out of Terminator without giving away too much of a hint that I have a cam. With the power my car is making now, I race a buddy of mine's 2003 GT with a Kenne Bell making 430 RWHP and I was pulling on him, it wasn't a whole lot, but I was moving forward. So I know that if I was making a little more power I can take down some cars since I'm so much lighter.

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I just installed my new version 2.5 heads on my build with a 226/232 cam, car is at the dyno right now and should be done tomorrow. Ill post up and let you know.

As for TSP they were great to deal with, both Jon and Jason. You wont find a better bang for teh buck cylinder head than the PRCs. Ofcourse AFRs or Trickflows would make more power but they also cost over 2x as much. Its just about what your goals are. A 224R with the stage 1 LS6 heads and a good tune with longtubes and an LS6 intake should be in the 410-420rwhp on an Fbody...maybe a little lower on a vette due to IRS im not sure. Give em a try!
Thanks! Please let me know.

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I have their prc stg 2.5 5.3 heads with cam in sig, Made some pretty good numbers for a combo that all together cost 2000 dollars shipped!
Thanks! What are th 5.3 Heads from? Are they a truck design or a proprietary design??

I'm also looking into the Precision Race Components Terminator Series 200cc Small Runner Race Cylinder Head! *Built Off Edelbrock Castings. They're a little more but I wonder how much more power they'll yeild.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know the 5.3's are stock castings, from the truck motor I believe. Honestly talk to TSP, let them know what your goals are, and go from there. They actually talked me out of buying several thousands of dollars worth of parts from them because they said I didnt need it for my goals. They set me up with the 5.3's and Im glad I went with em. Also keep in mind my numbers are through a 9 inch, so you may do same or better through IRS, Im really not sure. Overall I love TSP, the only other vendor I use often is Strano.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

They provide great Customer Service and have talked to my friend about little issues he has had with his car and they didn't have to. First rate company, if they were bad this forum would have booted them out a long time ago
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an old issue of GM high tech testing the PRC stage 1 LS6 heads/MS4/LS6 intake and the combo put down 530hp on the engine dyno...550+ with the FAST 90 intake..

Always hearing good stuff about TSP.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Teching In

tsp is the ****....they are so knowledgable and very helpful not to mention the reasonable prices and great selection
Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you have an auto you better get a stall with that h/c combo. But i hear lots of good about them try a search in the dyno section and you will see tons of there products there with some good numbers.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 180ls1
if you have an auto you better get a stall with that h/c combo. But i hear lots of good about them try a search in the dyno section and you will see tons of there products there with some good numbers.

I'm using an MN6.

Thanks for thought on doing a searchin the Dyno Section.