Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water logged the engine...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water logged the engine...now what?

im visiting abilene tx from san antonio and here comes the rain.......shallow water in the road that covered a dip with no sign equals front end of z28 nose diving into the dip at 25mph......engine sounded like about 5 hammers banging on it.....shut it off seconds later and oil is everywhere but so is water so it looks worse due to the rainbow water n oil effect. Got it towed to the in-laws house,......need to get it back to San Antonio......what do you think the outcomes gonna be of me ingesting all that water.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil outside of the engine on the ground is never a good sign Sounds like it's time to upgrade! We've got all out short-blocks on special currently. Let us know if we can help get you back on the road.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch, looks like you hydro-locked ... that sucks
Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got into some deep water in a flash flood with the free ram air mod and it killed the engine...scared the crap out of me but it started back up...I think it just couldnt get air because of all the water. The K&N filter was all wet. Sucks for you but worst case scenario it's time to upgrade! And maybe you can salvage a lot from your "old" motor.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayh
im visiting abilene tx from san antonio and here comes the rain.......shallow water in the road that covered a dip with no sign equals front end of z28 nose diving into the dip at 25mph......engine sounded like about 5 hammers banging on it.....shut it off seconds later and oil is everywhere but so is water so it looks worse due to the rainbow water n oil effect. Got it towed to the in-laws house,......need to get it back to San Antonio......what do you think the outcomes gonna be of me ingesting all that water.
Well you could have really messed it up. The oil could be from a broken engine basically or maybe you cleaned off the bottom of the car. Do a visual inspection and see if you can find any devastation to the block. Hydro locking the engine is not good but you need to know where your at.
Inspect it, drain your oil and see what’s in it. If the oil looks good then maybe your ok but from the sounds of the hammers you might be in need of a new engine. Only way to find out is to go ahead and check it out, it all looks normal then crank it over without the plugs in it and listen for abnormal noises (pull the fuel pump fuse). If all still looks and sounds good try and start it. You know where you stand by this time.

If you need an engine you have a few options. New or used. You can look for a used engine that someone is taking out to upgrade to a bigger engine. This is the least expensive way and will get you going again. I might be able to help you locate a take out as well, I have often have customers that are looking to sell thier current good ls1 to upgrade to one of our signature series 408's

OR get a new engine and then you have even more options. Am OEM crate engine, or a forged short block built by a vendor..... Like myself... LOL
I offer engines from a mild 370 to a radical 457. But that's putting the cart ahead of the horse. You need to check it out first and see what the damage is. Maybe you didn't destroy it and just knocked something loose and it can be saved. (Although I admit it doesn’t sound good)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Inspect it, drain your oil and see what’s in it. If the oil looks good then maybe your ok but from the sounds of the hammers you might be in need of a new engine. Only way to find out is to go ahead and check it out, it all looks normal then crank it over without the plugs in it and listen for abnormal noises (pull the fuel pump fuse). If all still looks and sounds good try and start it. You know where you stand by this time.
A lot of good advise in your post 99blancoSS.

What is in bold is also important to do incase you got water in the cylinders
Old 08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the replies......it takes forever to search thses forums from a cell phone..........guess I gotta wait on my adjuster to contact me in the mean time.........im still tryn to figure out a way to get it back to san antonio to have it looked at.........none of the rental places will let me tow with their rental cars and uhaul wants 69 cents per mile....its 225 miles to tha house from here...thanks again for helpn me out......I need to get home to my tools.....
Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

take out the spark plugs, crank the engine couple times, water will spill out of hte spark plug holes, make sure to get all of the water out, poor some marvel mystery oil in teh spark plug holes, let it sit overnight, change the oil, try to start it up, if it starts, change the oil couple of times to completely get the water out, i did this to my 98 couple months ago, started back up fine, just make sure to change spark plugs and wires at teh same time
Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Hey THEMACK56, did yours make all the racket mine was making and spill the oil everywhere.....it sounded horrible......no kidding like sombody beating an iron skillet with a hammer really fast.....My insuranse is gonna cover it if need be.....how much $$ in repair would total it out? Its a 2000 in real good shape, 104,000 on the odo....I still owe about 5K on it.......whats the price ranges for the engines used and new......if I have to drop an engine....I want to have something better than I started with...I had a lot of deletes, headers, etc..... no hard Mods though......Thanks again.....
Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing except it did it on start up. It some how managed to ingest water from a tropical storm that came through.

Results =

Do not try to start the car!!! Jack it up and check for holes in the oil pan and block. Although it sounds like from what you've already stated that it's trashed at least jack it up and check underneath it. If you don't find any holes pull all of the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand. This will compress all of the water out of the spark plug holes. Drain and swap the oil. At the bare minimum I'd say you bent a / some rod(s) from the, "Engine sounded like about 5 hammers banging on it". I'm still in the process of rebuilding mine and it's been 14 months. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

This is what happened to my LS6 after I caught a rather larger puddle of water on my trip out of town.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

you might wanna check to see if your insurance will cover it. They did when my friend hydrolocked his motor.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was driving my car all of a sudden i had to make a right turn on this one street, it was real flooded, but i went for it, it turned off on me immediately, i made the mistake of tlrying to start it, it sounded stuck but i didnt hear any loud noises like u did, so i roll the car to a parkinglot and i try to start it later on, well this time i hear something snap, so right there and then i decided to tow it to my mechanic, he said there was alot of water, in the pistons, i asked if the engine blew up he said no, so after i take it home , i start the car the next moring, and i hear somehting squealing when i start it, i thought it was the belts and that it would go away with time, it didnt, so i decided to take a look under the car, and i found my starter ear cracked, so everytime i turned the car on it would squeal from there, changed the starter and never looked back, if u remember earlier i wrote that when i tried the start the car in the parking lot, i heard a crack, well it was the starter iear that mounts to the block, i got real lucky
Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were driving the car and that happened and have body damage to go with your story and have full coverage you should be covered.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

Insurance $$$
Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Looks like I gotta take a rental back to San Antonio and come back for the Z this weekend....Im tooless so Im not able to get under the car....its sittn in the dirt/mud anyways...........I can see oil covering the drivers side header and residual dripping on the ground.....Im still registering some oil on the dip stick but not much.....no water on the stick though.....I think I turned it off fast enough that it didnt just completely blow......insuranse is gonna cover it - hopefully they dont total it....im hoping this will turn out to be for the better in the long run..........appreciate the input guys......
Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if they total it just buy the car back and put an even more badass LS1 in there.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Well, gettn a brand new custom built engine outa this one.....Blew the entire left rear corner completely off the block. A good 6 by 6 piece.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn! Any pics of it?

Did the insurance cover it or should I say are they going to cover it?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Bro that sux! I would also agree with everyone about contacting the insurance company and also the township of were it happend and advise them of the situation. Good luck!

Quick Reply: water logged the engine...now what?