Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yella Terra's are on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yella Terra's are on.

Got them in last night from UPS and got right to them. Followed the directions on LS1howto (thanks V8maro) and those given by Tin Indian (big thanks as well).

Found the closed valves and checked for preload - got about 1.25 to 1.5 turns after hand tightening the bolts down. So I decided to use the shims and that got me to about 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload. I thought the nearly 1.5 turns was a little much so I opted to use the shims.

The rest of the rockers went on quickly and easily with only one major gash to the knuckle against the edge of head (bled like a stuck pig - might pop a couple stiches in it on the way home - still bleeding - lol).

Torqued everything down to 25 lb/ft per YT's directions and put everything back on the car (after turning the motor and rechecking bolts). Started car - and it hesitated at first then fired right up - made a good bit of noise at first then quieted right down after about 15-20 seconds. Thinking maybe it needed to get some oil flowing around them maybe or get themself seated good.

Car is noticably quieter with hardly any "sewing machine" noise now. I swear I can even hear my new TB sucking air now (little hum/whistle sound) - thanks Shaner!

Now I just need to change the oil and I am good to go.

Whole operation took about 3.5 hours give or take with a break in their for dinner and a trip to the parts store for locktite (I ran out) and constant checking in on the Skins game. And this is with a guy (me) who is new to wrenching on his car. With the directions - it was a breeze.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Yella Terra's are on.

Awesome to hear... Congrads on the success.

Im also glad to hear the YTs made things a little quieter. I'll be needing to do that soon. Or after the 4 or 5 other "needs" I have for the car (sigh.)

chris
Old 09-05-2003, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

The "Big Brown Truck" should be dropping mine off tonight. My stock rockers were hitting the retainers on my new Patriot heads, so hopefully things will quiet down.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:44 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I'm glad my site helped ya out.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad my site helped ya out.
It definately did - thanks!!! Sweet site.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Are they supposed to be worth any power? or are they supposed to just help with the noise mostly?

Forgive my ignorance.

Jordan
Old 09-05-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

supposedly 4-7more hp if that

Will, did they really help with the sewing machine crap sound or are you just paranoid they did. Im getting sick of that damn sound.. its driving me up the wall ARGH