Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance needed between windage tray & crank???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clearance needed between windage tray & crank???

I'm about to put the windage tray on this motor we are building and I want to know what is a safe clearance between the eagle 4.00" crank and the tray?

I also noticed three of the holes in the tray are smaller than the studs (ARP) and they are oval instead of just round. I plan on opening them up with a uni bit.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

about 1mm is enough
Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I like to see .085+
Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is about 2.2 mm plenty but not necessary if you use ARP bolts (or any hardened non TTY bolts), doesn't hurt if you have the space though.
1mm = .04'
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JPH
I like to see .085+
Thanks guys, I'm going to get the tray put on today, along with a few other bits and peices.

Hey, who has my fly cutting tool? Pat or Chad? I tryed calling chad about 5 times over the past few months but the ****** never calls me back...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Predator, why does your location say Dubai? Are you really there? Or is that a joke?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JRracing
Thanks guys, I'm going to get the tray put on today, along with a few other bits and peices.

Hey, who has my fly cutting tool? Pat or Chad? I tryed calling chad about 5 times over the past few months but the ****** never calls me back...
Pat I'm sure. Chad don't do nothing but tune. LOL I will see Pat today and relay the message for you. I bought my own, so we don't have to bother you anymore. Thanks again man.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Just tell pat to call me.

OK guys, this thing hits big time. I marked all the places. The bottom of it cam be hammered out, but the sides are going to need a little more clearancing. Were the louvers are on the sides, it hit's pretty good and I tryed hammering it out but it still hits.

Would it be ok to cut small windows in it were the rod can swing up through there?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I am in Dubai,
Are you shimming it?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Yes I am in Dubai,
Are you shimming it?
I should have. It would of looked better. I beat the **** out of it until it cleared. It's ugly but functional.
I also had to grind on the oil pan on the frt were the rod swings up against it. I think it may be a little thin there were the dip is. But I was thinking about having a buddy tig the bottom of it right there for strength.
ARP said the washers were not needed with the (newer bolt kit) what ever....

I snapped some pics of it. I'll get them up later. Time to get cleaned up for dinner..
Old 09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Whatcha doin in Dubai?? I want to go there some time. The place looks exciting..
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Whatcha doin in Dubai?? I want to go there some time. The place looks exciting..
SLP has spacers, but they WILL NOT work with ARP studs. Yes, you can cut slots in the try for the rods to swing up threw, but with the proper spacers, that should not be needed. I will tell Pat to call you.

Joe
Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, a whole new city, 21st century style.
I'm in the Airline biz.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Yes, a whole new city, 21st century style.
I'm in the Airline biz.

Hook a brotha up on some tickets... I would love to spend a week or two there some time.

Ok I uploaded the pics from today. WARNING! The windage tray is ugly, lol. But it seams to clear fine. I test fitted it witk the pan and pick up tube.

Check out the pan, it has been cut to fit this mustangs K member. Also the pick up tube has been moved back, due to this modification.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Hey, another thing. I have this T rex cam. It came with the car and dave said he bought it used of this board. It just has the gring #'s on the end of it. So I don't have the specific info on it. But I installed the sproket straight up. Do you think I would gain anything by going + or -? I plan on spraying this combo the second year around. But will be all motor the first year.

Here is a thread I had with the grind #'s. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...262&highlight=
Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Just tell pat to call me.

OK guys, this thing hits big time. I marked all the places. The bottom of it cam be hammered out, but the sides are going to need a little more clearancing. Were the louvers are on the sides, it hit's pretty good and I tryed hammering it out but it still hits.

Would it be ok to cut small windows in it were the rod can swing up through there?
even with the supplied washers that came with my ARP main stud kit, i still ended up cutting windows where the four rods hit.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Hey, another thing. I have this T rex cam. It came with the car and dave said he bought it used of this board. It just has the gring #'s on the end of it. So I don't have the specific info on it. But I installed the sproket straight up. Do you think I would gain anything by going + or -? I plan on spraying this combo the second year around. But will be all motor the first year.

Here is a thread I had with the grind #'s. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...262&highlight=
Degree it, then see where it comes in at compared to where the cam card says it should be, then make a change.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrr23
even with the supplied washers that came with my ARP main stud kit, i still ended up cutting windows where the four rods hit.
I was about to cut it, but decided to see after the big hammer mod. My arp stud kit did not come with washers. I called them and they said they were not needed.

Originally Posted by JPH
Degree it, then see where it comes in at compared to where the cam card says it should be, then make a change.
This cam did not come with a card. I will talk to my man, helping me and see if we can find a degree wheel. I would like to see how that works any way.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I was about to cut it, but decided to see after the big hammer mod. My arp stud kit did not come with washers. I called them and they said they were not needed.

This cam did not come with a card. I will talk to my man, helping me and see if we can find a degree wheel. I would like to see how that works any way.
Hell I would degree it for you, how far you live away from Pat? Call or check with SLP on the windage tray spacer thickness washers, and just go to the hardware store and use washers, thats what I did on the last 383 I messed with.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

I'm on the NE side of 465, in Lawrence. I will check into the spacers tomorrow. If you could help me degree it, that would be great cause I don't know **** about it..

Quick Reply: Clearance needed between windage tray & crank???