Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality Assurance on Heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quality Assurance on Heads

I need some suggestions on how to make sure that the heads I receive are "good ones?" No, not that kind of good head.

I will be getting the RGR stage II's soon from Ls1SpeedInc. What am I looking for here? Flow test numbers? Visual inspection, etc.?

I'm new to the H/C crowd, but I have a feeling that once I get there, I'm gonna ask myself what took me so long...

Oh yeah, money....
Old 09-08-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Re: Quality Assurance on Heads

RGR has a good reputation, so I think you will be getting a quality product.

Personally, I want everything checked out before it goes in the car.

Have the heads flow tested.

Have the heads checked for revirsion

Have have the springs checked for correct pressures.

Check the install height etc.

Visual inspection of all surfaces.

I think your RGR's will be fine.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds good. As far as the tests you mentioned above, should LS1 Speed Inc. be providing this info, or should me and my mechanic be doing these?

At the very least, I should be asking LS1 Speed to provide me with the flow test results, right?

Thanks for your valuable input. I also just noticed that you have 4.10s with the stock rear...how is it holding up? With my parts on the way, we will soon have a fairly similar set up. I hope to get the numbers you did, although you have a slight advantage!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...my heads came with a tag with a ton of info....I assume yours should also...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

...my heads came with a tag with a ton of info....I assume yours should also...
Thanks. I'll post the numbers here before I mount that baby up to see what y'all think.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

How are heads checked for reversion ?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Pekkaz, I'm not sure of all the details of how to do that. I think reverse flowed to see how much air flows back up into the port. I do know that the .100 lift flow numbers can give a hint about how likey their is to be reversion. High flow at .100 usually means at low rpm it's easy to get reversion. Of course cam selection also effects this. When the valve is barely off the seat and flow isn't strong or has low velocity that's when they tend to encourage reversion. One of the experts on head porting like LS1derful and explain the details better than I can.

1Scrude,

I think LS1 Speed Inc. can provide this providing this info, or you and my mechanic can do the tests. I would ask LS1 Speed for the data. TEA provide me with the flow numbers for my heads. SRP my installer flowed the heads also. Our flow data didn't match what TEA provided by a significant margin. Personally, I want the porters flow data and I want to have the heads checked my installer. Isn't really necessary but I want to "feel good" about know exactly what's going on to my car. I'd say ~95 percent + of the folks with heads and cam would say its unnecessary to get both sets of data.

I like the 4.10's one of my favorite mods to the car. I'm on GSC's so no trouble with the gears at this point. They are actually quieter (for the moment) than my whining 3.42's were. SRP hand to installed and adjusted the Motive gears back lash etc twice before they were happy with the install. Even with a perfect install sometimes the 4.10's will whine...just the nature of the beast. I can get ~21 around town and ~26 highway, before I could get ~23-24 around town and 32+ highway

As for the power, I think you car will make at least 10rwhp more than mine does. Your ASP pulley has more under drive than my ATI. A friend with an idential H & C set up except MAC's vs my Hookers made ~1rwhp of what my car made. I think based on the results I've seen on the board the RGR's are at the very worst equal to the TEA 5.3 I have and most likey the RGR's are a good bit better.

In fact I LS1 Speed got ~439rwhp out of RGR's and the same cam you've selected. I don't know of any TEA 5.3 cars with a 224 XE-R cam that make that much.

I think you'll see ~425rwhp at least, ~430rwhp most likely, if your really lucky and get LS1 Speed to do your tune you might get ~435+ rwhp

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Scrude...if you ever need a spare set of hands, gimme a PM...Im in Davie.