Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have to swap power steering pump to new engine..do I need puller tools and reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default have to swap power steering pump to new engine..do I need puller tools and reinstall

Do I need tools to take off and reinstall power steering pump from my 346 to my new 408 iron block? Reading something about pulley tools. Can I make one or get buy without a tool? Do you have to remove pulley to get the pump off?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the proper way is to remove the pulley. But removing the pulley is a PITA and if I'm correct should only be done 3 times to keep the integrity of the pulley. Each time it's removed it should be marked somehow. But it is possible to remove the pump without pulling the pulley. I believe it's a 13mm wrench? There are 3 bolts total, two of them are pretty simple to get to with the water pump removed, the third is harder, but there is just enough room to get a wrench in behind the pulley to get to the bolt. there is a writeup somewhere on it I believe.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah came across that with more searching.So it is doable to just use a wrench and leave the pulley alone. Stubby wrench think 13mm and would think stubby gear wrench might help too.

One less tool to worry about!