Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head gasket

Well Found another puddle under the car yesterday. thinking it was the heater core i crawled under it to find the it was leaking water out of the right most furthiest bolt.

well now i belive it is the head gasket, but there is no water in the oil or in the cylinder.

so my question is if i do one side is bad should i replace both head gaskets, rehone the heads, new head bolts.... the works....

the engine overheated from when the water pump went out a few months ago..... and i have been raving high in first to shift in to third (second is out)

next step is to take the trany out

i love this car but at the time i want to and the damn thing.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some may flame me for this, but put Barr's Stop leak in it. May help seal te leak back up. I don't know your mechnical abilities, but a head gasket isn't too difficult for a somewhat backyard mechanic. LS1Howto.com can walk you through the process. Make sure you get the head resurfaced.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Teching In

The car is down for the winter so if there is time to work on it.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull that bolt and check. Do a compression test and use sealer on the bolt when putting it back together. I wouldn't do all that without KNOWING it is a gasket first.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2^^^^

Yea do a compression test to see if the running hot damaged the rings. Had the same thing happen on my 79 T/A and after doing head gaskets it used a lot of oil so I got rid of it. Running too hot can damage your bearings too so check your hot OP also. If it didn't run hot too long your prolly OK though. Good thing no coolant is in the oil cause that will eat the bearings FAST.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-09-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Teching In

while takeing the head off the bolt that it was leaking from was loose......looks like it is a water jacket??? might of vibrated out...but just need to get a new head gasket and head bolts......hope that fixes it.