Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow.... my harmonic balancer just flew off... help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow.... my harmonic balancer just flew off... help

I was gunning my new car and the balancer flew off..... i instantly pressed in the clutch and the car shut itself off after i heard two loud bangs (the pulley bouncing around)... I had to tow it home, and thats when i inspected it visually...

The crank is sitting straight, but im terrified that something might have happened... there is no visual damage, and didnt spill any fluids (except a tiny bit of oil from the front main, while it was still rolling)...

Is there something i can do to ensure nothing bad happened?
So what do yall think my damage is?
Do you think ill be okay with a new pulley and bolt???

Car is a 02 ws6 w/ a 402c.i. Stroker LS2....

If anyone has a SLP pulley.. i need it btw

HELP!!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

as long at your pulley wasnt out of balance " my thoughts" would be that it should be fine since our motors are internally balanced. as long as the pulley wasnt "wobbling" for a while which might could have thrown the "trueness" of the crank off
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

i dont think it was wobbling.... i would have noticed it. Thats good to hear.... i ordered a new pulley in and will keep this updated...

How far back in the crank are the threads bor the balancer bolt??
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it somewhere and have the balancer pinned to the crank to ensure that doesn't happen again.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

so it should be okay??
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

it probably wasnt torqued down tight enough when the motor was assembled. I know those bolts are supposed to be tighter that S*&$. seen one come off on a vette once when the bolt wasnt tightened enough right after a cam swap. hopefully nothing was hurt on ur setup
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

well i ordered the slp pulley and the arp bolt.... whats the easiest way to check the timing chain
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

you would have to pull the front cover off the motor in order to verify timing.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

okay looks like i know what im doing tonight.....
Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one come off a 70 Olds 350 once. I just replaced it with a new one and no problems. You should be fine
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 mine also flew off. I coasted off the motorway about 2min. It still started and ran without it, but I had it towed.
My crank had a keyway, so I got a keyed underdrive fitted in replacement.
You will need to check the pulley the surface of the pulley and the crank seal might be screwed. Like the the other dude said, try and get one keyed to your crank. You can do that by drilling the crank with a special clamp and drifting a steel pin in between the crank and the pulley.
Then tighten it down properly.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ringram
+1 mine also flew off. I coasted off the motorway about 2min. It still started and ran without it, but I had it towed.
My crank had a keyway, so I got a keyed underdrive fitted in replacement.
You will need to check the pulley the surface of the pulley and the crank seal might be screwed. Like the the other dude said, try and get one keyed to your crank. You can do that by drilling the crank with a special clamp and drifting a steel pin in between the crank and the pulley.
Then tighten it down properly.
THAT'S A VERY BAD MOVE according to Erik Koenig (racer7088) and following the numerous emails exchanged with him...

An Harmonic Balancer or Underdrive Pulley beeing loose for some seconds might induce multitude of bad vibrations inside your engine internals...having the Timing Set Gear Bolts comming loose is apparently first on the list!!!!!

That's what I got from HKE.

Christian
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who built the engine and how long ago? If I was you I would get with them and do what they say (if you was me the car would be running already). They might be willing to help you out some. Also I am sure they will want to know about this if for no other reason then quality control.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by miami993c297
THAT'S A VERY BAD MOVE according to Erik Koenig (racer7088) and following the numerous emails exchanged with him...

An Harmonic Balancer or Underdrive Pulley beeing loose for some seconds might induce multitude of bad vibrations inside your engine internals...having the Timing Set Gear Bolts comming loose is apparently first on the list!!!!!

That's what I got from HKE.

Christian
Yeah Im sure it is bad. However I kept it under 2000rpm and it was maybe 1/2 mile to the motorway off when I shut it down. It seems ok since, put down over 500rwhp with the new balancer.
It fell off under decel.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Im sure it is bad. However I kept it under 2000rpm and it was maybe 1/2 mile to the motorway off when I shut it down. It seems ok since, put down over 500rwhp with the new balancer.
It fell off under decel.
Hi ringram,

On my new engine the new ASP came loose after 46 miles arriving home at the last stop light IDLING for less than ONE minute before I shut it down...

The ASP doesn't show any sign of abuse stress:

The consequences are ENORMOUS (the new shortblock is destroy) with the THREE timing gear bolts completely LOOSE:

I was not warned initially of the damages caused by an unscrewed Harmonic Balancer...but Erik Koenig is affirmative...
A loose Underdrive Pulley is making the timing gear bolts loose... and it will destroy the engine...

Christian
Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

It fell off under decel.
Don't worry about it. The balancer on our internally balanced engine is not a balancer, but instead a dampener. It is designed to reduce torsional vibration. It is supposed to protect the rod bearings, main bearings, timing chain, valve train and prevent the crankshaft from splitting due to torsional vibrations. I personally would not worry about damaging the engine from when it came off. I would be more concerned with all the time it was run with the dampener loose. It would have been loose for some time before it came off. Being loose it can not absorb the torsional vibrations as designed.

My 1976 TA 400 came from Pontiac with just the hub and no dampener on the hub. I am NOT saying it is not important, just that the type of damage that will occur from a bad dampener or a loose one will take plenty of time to hurt anything. I bet everything is fine, and make sure you torque the new crankshaft bolt to the OEM specs!!!

Did you get a chance to let the builder know what happened?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
Don't worry about it. The balancer on our internally balanced engine is not a balancer, but instead a dampener. It is designed to reduce torsional vibration. It is supposed to protect the rod bearings, main bearings, timing chain, valve train and prevent the crankshaft from splitting due to torsional vibrations. I personally would not worry about damaging the engine from when it came off. I would be more concerned with all the time it was run with the dampener loose. It would have been loose for some time before it came off. Being loose it can not absorb the torsional vibrations as designed.
According to your comments then what will it take to unscrew the three bolts from the timing gear like in my engine???

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
My 1976 TA 400 came from Pontiac with just the hub and no dampener on the hub. I am NOT saying it is not important, just that the type of damage that will occur from a bad dampener or a loose one will take plenty of time to hurt anything. I bet everything is fine, and make sure you torque the new crankshaft bolt to the OEM specs!!!

I took only ~400 miles from the moment where the UD Pulley came loose to complete destruction of a new short-block...

Christian
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think the camshaft bolts were not torqued and lock tighted properly. I do agree that the torsional vibrations could also played a role in it too. For piece of mind it would be a good idea to check them in this situation before installing the new dampener. It would also be advisable to place a dial indicator on the end of the shaft and check the crankshaft run out to make certain the nose of the crank is not bent from throwing the dampener off of it. I would think that it would be more likely that whom ever built the engine not only did not torque the crankshaft bolt properly to OEM specs, but also did not torque the camshaft bolts to proper specs either. the thinking to me would be if they did not do one right then why assume they did any bolt torqueing correctly. There are several different engines over the years that were/are designed from the factory that, believe it or not, do not incorporate a dampener. There are actually professional race engines that do not use them as well. Do not get me wrong, our engine require the use of one due to their design. The problem with a dampener coming off is that it is proof that it has been loose for more then a few seconds or miles. When it is loose it can not absorb the torsional vibration it is design to cancel out of the crankshaft, so you have a prolonged period were the crankshaft bearings, camshaft timing components, valve train and crank end up absorbing the torsionals which lead to premature bearing failure, crankshaft breakage, timing component wear, and valve train failure. But it is not going to happen instantly. To give an example, my stock 76 400 Pontiac that was designed with no dampener from the factory did not fail (spun rod bearing) until it had 80,000+ miles on it. In your case, I you have plenty of proof the person who assembled your engine (both Miami's and Candy's) did not torque the dampener properly and therefore it would be logical to believe they did not torque anything properly. That statement will most likely upset the person who built these two engines but that’s what logic points to. I bet they torqued the rods properly and the mains. Most people put alot of care to torque those two items, but I have seen a lot of builders over the years that just hand tighten the camshaft bolts, and use an impact on the crankshaft bolt. It can be a pain in the **** to torque the crankshaft bolt to the OEM specs while the engine is on the engine stand. That much torque will almost make the stand fall over. Not fallowing OEM torque procedures on these two items is not uncommon.

Like I said before, it would be a good idea to double check the camshaft bolts while the dampener is still off. Other then that I doubt it had run long enough to hurt the crankshaft bearings, crankshaft, or the valve train.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen loosened timing gear bolts, destroyed main bearings and broken timing chains from balancer failures. These things do happen.

Shane
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a ATI balancer come off on a dyno pull at 9000RPM's. wasn't pretty.

Quick Reply: wow.... my harmonic balancer just flew off... help