Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comp cams trunion upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comp cams trunion upgrade kit

Can anyone advise what special tools are needed to install these other than standard sockets and wrenches? Also where can I get the correct torque numbers for bolts on rocker arms and valve covers? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

There's a couple of YouTube videos on the exact procedure and tools needed.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Teching In

I used a brass drift to knock out the old bearngs and used my bench vice to press in the new ones. They come with spacers to make it easy. Very simple.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are instructions provided with the kit, it takes most guys about 30-40 minutes to install the upgrade. Very simple!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a lift or spring pressure limit when exceeded one should consider upgrading their lifters? Example 400# spring pressure or around .600" lift.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Double J
Can anyone advise what special tools are needed to install these other than standard sockets and wrenches? Also where can I get the correct torque numbers for bolts on rocker arms and valve covers? Thanks in advance!
FSM has the torque. 22 ft/lbs for the rocker bolt and 106 in/lbs for the valve cover.

Best follow the CompCams's video, the other long 11 minutes Ytube video is dangerous, he punched out oem trunion with punch and hammer, then bangs rockers on metal table. His actions looks macho and might look good on TV but clearly, he lacks fineness. His actions indicates that he has no understanding that metal can get distorted when bang around! Never a good idea to bang internal engine components!

Keep in mind, to remove or install trunions, one needs to keep the process inline and perpendicular to avoid distortion. I made my .900 base and .005 drift as recommended by CompCams and used the combinations on my mill. But a drill press will do just fine. I'd found the stock bearings tighter during removal and the new trunion bearing reinstall not so much!

Take your time, its not how fast a person can do it, we are dealing with fitting precision bearings - remember "haste makes waste"!

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to all! Good 411
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a bench-mounted screw vise and taped aluminum strips on the jaws to avoid gouging the rocker arms. It was quick, easy, and didn't have any issues.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

We can all justify with whatever used for the install - most choose alternatives due to lack of resource!

Keep in mind, the truer it is inline and perpendicular, the less variables we have to deal with and ends up with less complications down the line!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit has the proper tools to get this done

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-906011/

Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Be very careful not to over-stretch the snap rings and check each one for cracks/fractures after it's installed.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have a tool similar to LFSADRG's picture, but on my personal vehicles I have used a bench vise or a small arbor press.
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
We have a tool similar to LFSADRG's picture, but on my personal vehicles I have used a bench vise or a small arbor press.
You ever notice how the acme thread on a vise draws on the jaws.

I would not consider a bench vise over a arbor press with its rack and pinion!

Even though my machinist bench vise is a high priced Wilton!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
We can all justify with whatever used for the install - most choose alternatives due to lack of resource!

Keep in mind, the truer it is inline and perpendicular, the less variables we have to deal with and ends up with less complications down the line!
i chose the horizontal screw vise over my vertical hydraulic press because of the finer control and feedback I get with the handle. this way I could ensure each bearing went in with the same resistance and there were no issues.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
i chose the horizontal screw vise over my vertical hydraulic press because of the finer control and feedback I get with the handle. this way I could ensure each bearing went in with the same resistance and there were no issues.
Using any sized hydraulic press is like using .50 caliber to kill a chicken in this case!

If vise is chosen for the feel, only the precision milling vise offers any sort of parallelism! But the short fall with precision milling vise is the movable portion of the jaw, it is designed to pull work down during the final lock down, which is outstanding for its intended design for secure work hold down! But if this type of vise is used as bearing press and you don't need to lock down, it should be more then sufficient to provide true in line closing and ensure perpendicularity for the bearing fit into the rocker's bore.

Normal bench vise has only acme thread - the good one that is. It doesn't have the machined, fitted, grounded and mated surface to slide on as the milling vise!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Oddly enough, I bought my arbor press just for doing trunion upgrades! Its simple, gives me total control (or at least a better feel of it), and is consistent.
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

How did the trunion upgrade work out for you?

Mike
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Oddly enough, I bought my arbor press just for doing trunion upgrades! Its simple, gives me total control (or at least a better feel of it), and is consistent.
At Texas-Speed, your company doesn't have a simple drill press? Arbor press is great, but an drill press can do that plus many other duties!

I don't have a business nor a drill press! But I do have a mill and a lathe! I did my trunion upgrade with the mill but I can also do it with the lathe. But the mill is infinitely easier since I don't have to balance the parts other than centering it. Out of the two, mill is my favorite. Besides milling, I used it to compress recycle cans, breaking bead off motorcycle tires and such, terrific mechanical advantage.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by victorf
Quote:

At Texas-Speed, your company doesn't have a simple drill press? Arbor press is great, but an drill press can do that plus many other duties!

I don't have a business nor a drill press! But I do have a mill and a lathe! I did my trunion upgrade with the mill but I can also do it with the lathe. But the mill is infinitely easier since I don't have to balance the parts other than centering it. Out of the two, mill is my favorite. Besides milling, I used it to compress recycle cans, breaking bead off motorcycle tires and such, terrific mechanical advantage.
he said he has the arbor press for his own personal use. my guess its at his house. haha

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
he said he has the arbor press for his own personal use. my guess its at his house. haha

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
He did not specify was for his own personal use, but he did say "just for doing trunion upgrades".

I did not want to make assumptions, but its all good!

Quick Reply: comp cams trunion upgrade kit