Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 head rebuild how to

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 head rebuild how to

Im looking to pick up some used LS3 heads. Plan to have a shop clean them up.

I dont know what all is needed in the way of machining them. I plan to put them on a ls2 with a LSA blower.

What tools are need? I understand Ill need to remove the rockers, compress the springs remove the caps. Install new springs and caps and reinstall the rockers. However the tools and how to do this I dont know.

I also have no idea what lifters and pushrods to use. I was thinking of getting a custom grind cam for the setup. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by silent_soul
Im looking to pick up some used LS3 heads. Plan to have a shop clean them up.

I dont know what all is needed in the way of machining them. I plan to put them on a ls2 with a LSA blower.

What tools are need? I understand Ill need to remove the rockers, compress the springs remove the caps. Install new springs and caps and reinstall the rockers. However the tools and how to do this I dont know.

I also have no idea what lifters and pushrods to use. I was thinking of getting a custom grind cam for the setup. Any help would be appreciated.
You could usually just drop the heads off at the machine shop for them to disassemble, clean, machine, and reassemble. If you prefer to assemble the heads yourself, which I would recommend, they'll usually give them back disassembled. This way, you can setup the springs for your cam yourself as well as check behind the machinist's work.

I just had a pair of 799 heads that I got back from the machine shop that, after checking their work, I am not too happy with. I could put together a short write up with pictures today if it would help you.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send them to us.
Give us some $'s.
Wait a week or two and install your as new heads ready to go.
We use the O.E. rockers so going cathedral to rec port you will need a minimum of the 8 offset rockers and the other 8 if they have more than 50000 miles on them.
We also offer some nice rocker bars with ARP hardware for some more valve train stability.
We use the O.E. LS2/7 lifters.
As far as pushrod length goes you will need to mock that up to determine correct geometry. We can send you the ones we think will be closest but you will have to check.
We can set you up with a nice camshaft to compliment your package as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
You could usually just drop the heads off at the machine shop for them to disassemble, clean, machine, and reassemble. If you prefer to assemble the heads yourself, which I would recommend, they'll usually give them back disassembled. This way, you can setup the springs for your cam yourself as well as check behind the machinist's work.

I just had a pair of 799 heads that I got back from the machine shop that, after checking their work, I am not too happy with. I could put together a short write up with pictures today if it would help you.
I figured doing the work myself wouldnt be hard and would save me money. Along with being a learning point. Id greatly appreciate a write up.

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Send them to us.
Give us some $'s.
Wait a week or two and install your as new heads ready to go.
We use the O.E. rockers so going cathedral to rec port you will need a minimum of the 8 offset rockers and the other 8 if they have more than 50000 miles on them.
We also offer some nice rocker bars with ARP hardware for some more valve train stability.
We use the O.E. LS2/7 lifters.
As far as pushrod length goes you will need to mock that up to determine correct geometry. We can send you the ones we think will be closest but you will have to check.
We can set you up with a nice camshaft to compliment your package as well.
Ill try and give you guys a call tomorrow. I talked to a couple places and your the first to say I need to mess with the rockers. I was told best bet run oem length rockers and compensate for possible valve issues by changing pushrod length. I was looking to run LS7 lifters, hardened push rods and correct length for cam. Stock rockers.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by silent_soul
I figured doing the work myself wouldnt be hard and would save me money. Along with being a learning point. Id greatly appreciate a write up.
I updated my Build Thread and detailed what I checked. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the tools or anything.

Quick Reply: LS3 head rebuild how to