Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 intakes, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 intakes, which one?

Need to figure out what intake to go with on my LSX 436. It's a 11.6 to 1 compression pump gas motor with a 242/257 .609/.629 113 ls EPS cam from Geoff Skinner. The heads are stock LS3 heads with Chris Frank stage 2 job with stock rockers with trunion upgrade.
I am currently running a bone stock LS3 intake with LSA injectors and need to decide what intake to run. Fast, MSD, Mid or High rise Holley Ram, Victor style or Super Victor?

The car is a 1970 Datsun 240Z that is street and track driven, transmission is a slightly built 4L80E with a 9.5" 3600 converter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Zfan
....I am currently running a bone stock LS3 intake with LSA injectors and need to decide what intake to run. Fast, MSD, Mid or High rise Holley Ram, Victor style or Super Victor?.....
Well Mike.....I can help you narrow your choices by one;

MSD is not bringing their LS3 intake to market. Seems that it's not substantially better than the OEM intake....which is actually pretty good, BTW.

That said, if I were in your position, I'd most likely opt for the FAST intake with the hope that they eventually put their shorter runners on the market fairly soon.

If that happens, you can go swap in the shorter runners later; maybe lose a little low RPM torque, but you'll gain HP above 5K RPMs....which would be a good trade-off in a car as light as yours .

KW
Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One you haven't considered is Rick Crawford Racing AirRam.
Rick does an amazing job of modifing the factory inlet manifold and no it's not a simple port job.
Has been a bolt on 1-2mph and 0.1-0.2 second in the quarter on 6.0 and 6.2 litre engines.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Launching!

I have not heard of him, any idea of cost for the porting on the stock ls3. I am kind of worried about the plastic/composite intakes as I do hit it with a wet 150 shot and don't like the idea of a backfire and fire.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rick Crawford and also RHINO at GPI do the same thing to the intakes, Rhino learned from Rick, just take your pic on whoever is closer. I have a rhino one and the design they use is the only one that has proven gains. It is right on par with a fast if not slightly better. cost is around 300 to have it ported and shipped back. The intake acutally isnt even PORTED its modified lol

The intake selection will be dictated by the cam you run. I'd call Geoff and ask him if the cam is better suited for a composite or a hi rise one cam doesnt not work with both designs. The msd has too many qc issues and isnt being made for the ls3 anymore. With nitrous you always run that risk of popping the intake but in the end you just need to run whats best and bring that geoff probably spec'd that cam to run with a plastic intake, thats probably what its made for.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I'll call Geoff today!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

t
Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie
One you haven't considered is Rick Crawford Racing AirRam.
Rick does an amazing job of modifing the factory inlet manifold and no it's not a simple port job.
Has been a bolt on 1-2mph and 0.1-0.2 second in the quarter on 6.0 and 6.2 litre engines.
It works I have a RcR intake and it definitely gave me a extra mph gain in the 1/4. Factory look and fit because it is a factory intake. Well worth it.Don't waste money on a fast. Ship him your ls3 intake and he will get it back to you asap.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Man I do not know the work from the guys mentioned that are working the intakes. After looking at the stock L76 intake I was shocked at how good it was. It is a lot better than the LS2 intake with no parting line flash in the intake ports. If you were going to cut the stock intake in half and reassemble it there may be some benefit. I do not see more than minor improvements with porting on the L76 intake. Its a very good intake out of the box.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am probably going to go to a Super Vic with 4150 DBW throttle body. I have no confidence in FAST ever bringing the shorter runners to market. That just leaves the Super Vic and High Ram...

Quick Reply: LS3 intakes, which one?